Reload this Page >

New Orleans at Christmas

Search

New Orleans at Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Brenda King

New Orleans at Christmas

Anybody done "Nawlins" during Christmas or New Years. Read it is a great time to go ?? Love to eat and experience the sights and sounds of the south. Also perfer quiet accomodations...any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Lenore

We went for 4 days just before Christmas (flew back Christmas Day) in 2000. They had a freaky cold snap with day time highs only reaching the low 40's and overnight lows in the low 30's. We live in Florida and don't really have the clothes for that kind of weather, so it kind of hindered us a little. Food wise, we never ate better! Yum! Try the Pelican Club for dinner. It's not one of the more well known places, but it sure was delicious. We stayed at the Hotel W right in the Quarter. Good location, great comfy bed, but the hotel overall is just okay. We had fun, but it's not the kind of place I'd go back to unless it was on the way to somewhere else.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Laurie

My mom and I have gone to New Orleans at Christmas time for the past 2 years, once in early Dec. and once in mid Dec. Yes, weather can be very different. 1st time, we had highs in the 50's, second time,highs in the 70's. We love New Orleans at Christmas time! Crowds are low, I get to shop for unusual Christmas presents and eat at some of the best restaurants in the U.S. We always use priceline to get a hotel. One year we stayed at the Sheraton for $45 a night and the next year we stayed at the W French Quarter for $68 a night. You can not choose your hotel with priceline but you can choose the area you want to stay in. For an idea of what hotels you might get, go to biddingfortravel.com. Click on New Orleans. There are many activities at Christmas time. Go to frenchquarterfestivals.com to see what is happening during the time of your stay. Have a great time! Laurie

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Ben

The weather can be tricky in December. One year my mother-in-law came from up North. We tried to tell her it gets cold at times. She brought all clothes for warm weather & it was 8 degrees while she was here. Then one year it was in the high 70s. There is usually still plenty to see & do. Good food & fun never go out of season here. The crowds are usually less then too.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:42 AM
travellyn

I've been there once at Christmas, and another time at New Year's. Like the others posting, I can say that the weather was vastly different each trip. The weather during Xmas trip was cold, gray and drizzly, while the New Year's trip was sunny and cool.

At New Year's, we stayed at Le Meridien and did their in-house dinner and party (excellent!). We went out on the streets right after midnight. The streets were packed, almost as much as during Mardi Gras. It might be hard to come by a quiet room then.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Howard

We were there over Christmas about 10 or so years ago and had great weather. However, be advised that a lot of restaurants are closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
It's best to leave New Orleans a couple days prior to New Year's Eve before the Sugar Bowl attendees arrive. It gets a bit wild then!