New Orleans or Kauai?

Search

New Orleans or Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans or Kauai?

This seems like a weird decision but due to discounts we have we are choosing between these two locales for a trip this August. If in Kauai we would be on the East cost near Wailua Bay, if in New Orlenas it would be in the Garden District. I have concerns about both and am excited about both. What are your thoughts / recommendations? Should I be concerned about hurricanes - particularly in either? I know it's the season but in general I mean?
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't choose New Orleans in August, and I LOVE New Orleans. For me, it's Kauai, hands down.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 08:09 PM

kauai - no choice really.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 09:38 PM

quite a bit of difference between kauai and N.O. what do you like to do when on vacation. I would think that would determine where you go. N.O. to me would be way tooooo hot in august and I do love the quietness and beauty of Kauai. Hurricanes are not common in Kauai..they do have them but rarely - not like N.O,....It would be Kauai hands for me....
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM

i would think another concern would be how far away is either from your home airport? How many days will you be gone...enough time to enjoy the area after the flight?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:02 AM

Fiddely Foo again. Lost my post trying to get this webpage - the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" - Waimea Canyon - near Waimea town on Kauai: http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/kauai/waimea-canyon/

Also be sure to get up to the North Shore for the magnificent Bali Hai experience.

Oh - I guess that means I heartily recommend you getting over to Kauai as you seem to have the time, and you can always visit NO during a long weekend - when the weather is better, etc.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:04 AM

And here are some Bali Hai/North Shore pics - and Princeville/Hanalei is a very scenic hour and a half or so drive from the Waimea area. http://tinyurl.com/74u77ym
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:13 AM

I'm with sf. I dearly love New Orleans, but in August??? I've been there twice in August and it was so hot and humid, it was hard to breathe. Fall, winter and spring: yes. August? NO
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Wow - seems like all agreaa on Kauai! That makes me feel better. I was worried about Kauai because as I was doing some reading, it seemed like it rains there a lot. Is that a concern in August? We would be staying near Wailua Bay. To answer the other questions: we are going 1 week, both places we can fly into the nearest airport, and we want a mix of exploring and relaxing. The only thing is, we don't want to spend much money once we're at our destination (aside from eating out). For Kauai - if we just did one day of touring in a car, is there other things to see/do without spending money on a car?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 06:15 AM

Nola in August sounds like punishment. Those roof top pools are as refreshing as taking a hot bath in a heat wave.

Rent the most affordable car you can find for the week even if it means eating pb&j's for the week.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM

I'd take a rainy day in Kauai over a sweltering day in N'Orleans any time...
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM

It's really hard to get around Kauai without a car. You'll want at least two days to explore - one to the south/west, and one to the north. Personally, I agree with the poster who suggested getting the cheapest car you can find for the whole trip and then eating cheaply to make up for it!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:47 AM

TO offer a differing viewpoint I go to Nola every year for Dirty Linen Night & the Red Dress run in August as they always near my B-Day - http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...ddressrun.html
http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...irtylinen.html
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:20 AM

I go to Kauai a lot, you need the car for the week, the bus that they have does not go to places you would want to visit (does not go to Waimea Canyon, does not go North of Hanalei), try this site, I got a great car thru Avis last time, they are wholesalers:

discounthawaiicarrentals.com

If you have a condo you can make breakfast and some picnic lunchs to save money, plenty of places that offer fairly inexpensive plate lunchs for around $6-7, etc.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Great shout out for Nola! I especially like that they are unsure of just how long Dirty Linen has been around. . .

"Since the first Dirty Linen Night about four years ago, " sounds like fun!

If you end up in Kauai, jamie99 is right. If it is cancellable, I would then try to Priceline a rental once all arrangements have been made. I would look at Hotwire rates and drop them by about $20 to start on bidding.

I'm not sure, but just getting to and from the airport would cost you about $80 RT, and a very poor public transportation is geared to locals needs, not tourists needs.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

I just thought of one more thing that might seem ridiculous but could play a factor - I hate scary roads! As in, I hate even small hills and valleys, absolutely will not do mountainous driving. Does that kill Kauai? I was in Maui last summer and I didn't enjoy getting around (hated the volcano tour for the driving part anyways) but it was doable because the majority of driving / bus routes were on very small hills around the perimeter of the island. Would that be the case in Kauai as well? Or would it be scary for someone like me?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:21 PM

Hawaii!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM

If you dont like driving on hills, you probably don't want to drive up the Waimea canyon/Kokee road (though the views are spectacular).

Driving from Wailua to the North Shore/Hanalei there are some hills, and a few places that are a bit precipituous.

From Wailua You could drive to Poipu alright i think.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Aloha. Is the area of Wailua Bay a good one to stay? That's where our deal is but I am seeing other condos for pretty much the same rates in other areas so I'm wondering if we're better off in another area? Does it rain a lot in August in Kauai?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Actually they celebrated the 10th Dirty Linen Night last year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -