New Orleans June 30-July 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:48 AM
Amy

Hi,
We're semi considering going to New Orleans june 30-july 4 because its SO cheap. But I know thats because it's so hot and humid. So I'm asking for advice, maybe some of you have been during this time and can tell me if its worth it, or if we should wait till its cooler? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks for your time!

Amy

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:52 AM
x

It is hot. No question about it. It is, however, very doable. Just do indoor things during the very warmest parts of the day and walk in the shade when possible and you'll be fine.

Millions of people live in south Texas, the gulf coast, Florida, etc. in the summer and don't melt away. You won't either!

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 11:37 AM
native

Yes, it will be hot. It is already hot. Also, you might want to bear in mind that that weekend is now taken up by the Essence Festival, so it might not be as cheap as you might think. Essence is a yearly festival which has been going on now for a few years. It is concerts and empowerment seminars geared toward African Americans. I think the headliner for this year is Patti Labelle. Unfortunatley for us natives, N.O. is becomeing a year round convention center. Used to be that in summer we had the place to oursevles even though it was blisteringly hot. Keep in mind that some restaurants still close for the summer (Upperline and Casamento's come to mind)but not those catering to the tourists. All of Emerils's joints will be open. Come on down though, all are welcome and the beer is always cold and CHEAP.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 12:30 PM
John

Essence is the weekend AFTER July 4 this year. FYI.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 02:25 PM
pete

It's a good time to visit. Our family, four years ago, enjoyed that holiday week and the fireworks on the river. You cant beat the hotel prices starting July 1. Stay in the French Quarter and you'll not notice the heat so bad because you don't have to walk far to get to things. NOLA is more enjoyable when you don't have to fight the crowds. One hint is to check the convention calendar on this web page (www.neworleanscvb.com). It will tell you the approximate size of the conventions for your stay. Maybe you'll luck out and the temperature won't be so high but you can bet on fairly high humidity. I did check some hotel sights and the rates are good!!