Reload this Page >

New Orleans Jazz Fest

Search

New Orleans Jazz Fest

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:05 AM
lisa

New Orleans Jazz Fest

Anyone been to NO Jazz Fest? I am going for the second weekend (1st weekend in May)and it will be my first time to NO.
Any suggestions/tips would me much appreciated!
Thanks!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
RB

Though it's been a few years since our last trip to the Jazz Fest, let me assure you that if you love music, you are in for a wonderful time! Also, let me say that you should be prepared for crowds and plenty of them, especially on the closing weekend of the Fest. Tips:
1)Check out www.nojazzfest.com, the official site. Plan out your itinerary for each day. Who do you really want to see? This is especially important on Sat. and Sun. If you're going with a partner or crowd, plan to split up then rendezvous at certain times/points.
2) Wear comfy closed toe shoes because when you're maneuvering through the crowds, you'll want that foot protection. Plus it never fails that a little shower will pop up, and the areas in front of the stages can get pretty muddy. Take a lightweight jacket or a big trash bag- the big trash bag can do double duty as a poncho or a ground cloth when you need a quick seat.
3) Wear a hat & bring some sunscreen. Plan to take in a couple of acts that are in the tents (especially the gospel tent!!) to get out of the sun. All day libations and sun can really play on you- and you'll pay when you try to go party on Bourbon Street at night.
4) The food at the Fest rivals anything in the restaurants, IMHO. Crawfish Monica, little sweet potato pies, cochon de lait (roast pork sandwiches), and alligator are all tasty treats.
5) Take a cab or a bus to the Fest. Don't drive! It's not worth it to hassle with the parking- and there's always somebody you can split a cab with that's headed toward your hotel.
6) Check out Tipitina's and Rock-N-Bowl for nighttime music fun. The House of Blues usually has a good lineup during Fest time as well. It just depends on how much music you can absorb! The concerts sponsored by the Fest are good, too- but most of the time, we've soaked up so much (literally & figuratively ] at the fairgrounds, the concerts are just overkill for us.
7) ENJOY! There's nothing better in the world than the Jazz Fest when it comes to music. Safe travels to you.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
PetdeKat

For all information you need to know visit, www.petdekat.com

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:04 AM
lisa

Thank you RB for the all the info! Good tips to know. I can't wait to go!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Debbie

The crowds at the Fest were terrible last year. I hope the Jazz Fest organizers have some kind of crowd control measures in place this year.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:06 AM
Anna

Be sure to bring something to sit on because they have no seating and the area is going to be hot, dry and in some areas dusty and littered with little crawfish shells. They sell souvenier lawn chairs, but it's probably more economical to bring your own. I believe they restrict guests to the low ones that sit closer to the ground. We brought two large tatami mats that we bought at Pier 1 which worked wonderfully. We were able to lay them out near a stage and spread ourselves out comfortably for a couple hours of music. There's very little shade as well so make sure you bring your sunblock and a hat. We thought the people with small umbrellas attached to their lawn chairs were the most comfortable. Have fun - it's a blast!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:13 PM
BNuts

Lenny Kravitz was AWESOME! had such a great time. well worth the drive from Houston; will be sure to bring some lawn chairs next year, though! $35 to buy one; or alternatively, you could buy the box that it came in for $5! talk about price gouging. that's the only thing bad about NO; poor tourist town = much scam artists. watch your wallet and don't stop to talk with strangers.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
xx

If NO is a "poor tourist town" then stay home. I've never been hassled in NO any more than any other big city. You must be from Texas.