Laissez les bon temps rouler?

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laissez les bon temps rouler?

Hello all. I am considering planning a trip to The French Quarter for spring of 2015. I see there is a festival April 9-12, but I suspect it may be difficult to get reservations during this time period already. We have a 12 and 14 year old. Are most of the festivals "anything goes" like Mardi Gras? I would love for them to be experience this amazing area of the U.S. without the adult party aspect. : ) . My other thought was to go in mid March. Any thoughts on family friendly ,but interesting things to do and to festival or not to festival?
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:32 AM

The festival you referenced is French Quarter Fest and it most certainly is nothing like Mardi Gras. It's free and consists of either local New Orleans musicians or specific genre artists. There are multiple stages placed around the FQ, so you can still hear some good music without fighting the crowds at the main stage (riverwalk area).

I will say this; there are certainly plenty of "adult" beverages available and you most certainly will run into a few people who have had their share of said beverages, but as someone who has attended both FQ Fest AND Mardi Gras, you can rest easy knowing there is no comparison.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:37 AM

To add.. I really did enjoy FQ Fest. It's kind of an older generation's festival, so the vibe is completely different (more laid back). You can certainly find trouble if you want to, but that can be said for any time you're in New Orleans and I don't think you'll have to worry much about it

As for cost, it will be more expensive than going during a less traveled time. The festival continues to become more popular, adding the fourth day last year, so it could be cost prohibitive to some people.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 09:09 PM

We went to FQF a couple years ago and had a blast. Absolutely loved it. The festival is very family - friendly and great for kids. In fact, not only would i not avpid the festival, if I was you, I'd do everything i could to make sure I went. There are stages all over the FQ with different bands playing. The music is incredible. You have food stands set up in various places - local restaurants serving up good food. And the vibe is just fun.
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. Sorry it took so long to acknowledge your help. Life got in the way : ) if we can still find reasonable accommodations, I will try to get us there in April. Any suggestions for a family of four, ideally within walking distance to good restaurants etc , clean and safe. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 11:59 AM

Some of Our favorites that are in the Quarter:

Dauphine Orleans http://www.dauphineorleans.com/

Monteleone http://hotelmonteleone.com/

le Richelieu http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/