New Orleans in July?

Search

New Orleans in July?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans in July?

I am thinking of going to New Orleans in July with a few friends. Are we crazy for going during the summer? Also, any feedback on the Monteleone hotel would be great. Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:58 PM
GoTravel

That just sounds so hot, humid and sticky.

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:19 PM

I agree - hot and sticky is not the way I'd choose to spend my vacation. If you go, make sure you stay at a hotel with a nice pool area.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:29 PM

I visit there in October a couple of years ago and it was hot (90's) every day. While there, I chatted with a friend of my mother's who lives in a suburb of NO. She is originally from Wisconsin and she said they've swap staying in from the winter cold for staying in from the summer heat since they moved there. She said it is just so hot that no one does anything. That said, it really does matter how tolerant of heat you are. We also went to WDW in July that year and I didn't think it was so bad. We had a great time despite the heat.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:01 AM

I went there in August (cheap air, low hotel rates) and although I can't wait to go back I will never, ever go again in the summer. However, if you don't mind having your clothes stick to you like glue and sweat dripping down your forehead constantly, then go for it and have a good time. Like someone else said, make sure your hotel has a good pool. Have fun.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 05:27 AM

I've been going to NO for over 40 years and it's one of my favorite cities. Having said that, I would never advise going during the summer, especially for a newcomer. I've been in August twice during the past several years (for business), and it's so hot and humid it's difficult to catch your breath.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Another consideration about travelling in the summertime is the air conditioning. When we were there in May, it was pretty warm and humid for part of our trip. Every building we went into, the AC was working overtime, making the buildings downright chilly. We practically had to bring jackets to wear inside restaurants and stores.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 06:39 PM

New Orleans in July... Hot, VERY! Sometimes we can get a break in June or even late August, but July is pretty consistently hot. I always go to New England in July to escape from it. One plus is it WONT be crowded in July and you can pretty much stay in the best hotels for a fraction of what they'd cost in autumn.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 01:01 AM

I stayed at the Monteleone hotel last May. They won me over when they handed out glasses of champagne for those of us waiting in line to check in. It is a pretty historic hotel and is well maintained. We enjoyed having drinks in the Carousel bar. There is a pool on top of the hotel. It is across the street from Mr. B's which is a very good restaurant.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:52 AM

Well just a warning, yes it is hot, I have only been there during July because the National Education Association has their annual meeting there every few years (the teacher's union). We will all be there June 30-July 7 (20,000 of us). Don't come then!!!! All staying in the French Quarter area.

If it is hot and sticky where you live, you will be fine, otherwise it might be a shock to your system. I'm from the midwest so it wasn't a whole lot different than home, just plain nasty out... haha