Search

New Orleans Hours

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans Hours

We're traveling to New Orleans in late May and I was wondering how late things are open till. I keep hearing that there's a great nightlife but generally, what time do bars and restaurants close?

I've also heard how expensive N.O. is. Can anyone recommend a site or magazine that has discounted coupons?
Old May 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Some don't close...I was wandering around at 4:00 a.m. and things were still goin'. That of course was in my wild and wicked youth
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM

You'll probably find many places closing at around 2 a.m. but some stay open longer and on weekends. If you manage to stay up that late for a few nights, you'll get your fill of entertainment of all sorts. Good luck.

As for discounted prices, I know there are some discount booklets that are available in vending racks at rest stops along the interstate highways near N.O. Also try web sites such as www.neworleansonline.com or just use the search function on this forum. Good luck.
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Go to the visitor's center in Jackson Square. We went in June and they had coupon booklets called something along the lines of "New Orleans When It Sizzles". I don't know how early these summer specials start. But it's certainly worth checking out.

You might also want to consider getting an Entertainment Book for New Orleans. This time of the year I think you can get them half price. Check their website at entertainment.com. You should have time to get one by mail if you order it soon.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM

Here's a link to a Good Times Guide - they have a huge amount of coupons and information:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/guide/gtg/

If you do decide on a swamp tour, just go for a half day - that's plenty. The same with a steamboat cruise, stick to just the cruise and not dinner included.

Have fun!
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:53 AM

There's no "closing time" and some bars are open 24/7.

N.O. is no more expensive than any other city. Lodging can be higher if you visit during a peak time but the fact that you can use your feet to get most places negates the need for a car or expensive cab rides!
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Keep in mind that the late hours only applies to the restaurants and bars and shops on Bourbon St. Everything else in the FQ shuts down fairly early in the evening.

Also, John is right. NO isn't any more expensive than other cities. As far as eating, there are PLENTY of cheap places to eat. There's also plenty of average and expensive places. Souvenirs are cheap too if you know where to look. Hotels can be cheap too depending on when you go and which hotel you pick.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I'll look into the entertainment guides that some of you mentioned.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Most restaurants are closed by 11 PM. Surprisingly, there aren't many late night eats. Some good bets to eat late are The Clover Grill on Bourbon St. for burgers & diner food. Very entertaining late at night. Other late night eats are Le Peniche in the Marigny and the St. Charles tavern in Uptown (depending on where you end your evening). Bars aren't required to close by a certain time but they may shut down if business is slow. Many bars get a late night rush of restaurant & hotel staff (who work late hours) that keeps them going until early in the morning. Depending on the scene you're looking for, Decatur St. near Esplanade in the Quarter (very bohemian) and Frenchmen St. in the Marigny (mixed crowd of locals) are good late night bets.
As far as keeping costs down, get out of the Quarter whenever possible. You can access Uptown & Mid-City by streetcar or cab for cheaper eats & drinks. Some bargains I know off the top of my head are the Wednesday 3-for-1 margarita happy hour at the Superior Grill on St. Charles Ave. in Uptown, and the excellent early bird special at Brigtsen's in the Riverbend - $14.95, 3 course dinner Mon-Thurs before 6:30 PM. If you want to buy spices, hot sauce, etc. to bring home avoid the stores in the Quarter and at the Riverfront mall. Instead, go to any of the local supermarkets such as Winn-Dixie, Sav-A-Center or Langenstein's and you'll find everything for much less.
Chowhound.com is a good source for restaurant info & has lots of cheap eats recommendations.