New Orleans Hotels - what districts?

Sep 13th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

New Orleans Hotels - what districts?

We are looking at New Orleans for New Years. Airfare seems to be very reasonable - round trip, Continental, non-stop from Newark for $224.

The French Quarter probably would be the most desirable area, but what other areas are safe and easy to get around.

We don't want to rent a car. Want to be able to get around by foot or local transportation.

I am going to try Priceline and would like to know what rebid options are desirable for 4* hotels in the area.
Sep 13th, 2003, 09:52 PM

Hi Budman, Go to Biddingfortravel.com to see the bidding options and what hotels priceline assigns for the various areas. We have stayed at the Sheraton through priceline 3 times and have been very happy. My winning bids have averaged around $50-$60.
Sep 13th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Dan

I'd be very surprised if you get $50-60 for New Years. It's early enough, however, so I'd chance it and try again next week if it doesn't work!
Sep 14th, 2003, 01:05 AM
YTB

Consider hotels on St. Charles Ave. in the Garden District. The streetcars run about every 20 mins. The streetcar route does not go into the Quarter but it's only a short walk across Canal Street from the last stop on the line into the French Quarter. FYI Rooms will be scarce & pricey. Sugar Bowl game folks will be there too!
Sep 14th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.

Is the Convention Center a safe area. I can remember years ago people saying that it was not safe to walk from the French Quarter to the Superdome -- you would have to walk thru the Convention Center area. Is this still the case?
Sep 14th, 2003, 07:41 AM

I've stayed at the Sheraton on Canal Street and also the Hilton Riverside (?) this might not be the exact name of it. Either one is in close proximity to the French Quarter and an easy walk. I like the Hilton for the views of the river and there is a river walk shopping complex right there (between the hotel and the beginning of the French Quarter area). I'd stay at either one of these again.
Sep 14th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Budmad -

I stayed near the convention center in May. I walked to the FQ during the day and didn't have any misgivings, but on my walk back at night I was pretty nervous. I wouldn't want to do it again. The staff at the hotel thought the area to be unsafe at night. Take a cab.
Sep 14th, 2003, 07:56 PM

I stayed at the Doubletree across from the French Quarter a few years a go and would recommmend it.

http://www.doubletreeneworleans.com/
Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:37 PM
fj

If you haven't already made your reservations and are still interested in this post, I recommend the area Priceline defines as the Convention Center - Garden District. This includes what is really the Central Business District by the River and all of the 4* and 3* hotels in BiddingforTravel.com list for the the Convention Center - Garden District are very good and close to the river. This area is now safer than the French Quarter, but close enough to walk to it and convenient to the Street Cars on St. Charles which go into the Garden District.

The area that is currently defined as the CBD on priceline is further from the river and slightly less desirable hotels in my opinion. If you get the Hyatt or the Radisson, you are getting too far from the French Quarter and the river, in my opinion. Have Fun.