New Orleans hotel with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Lee

Hi,

We'll be "passing through" New Orleans this June with our three sons (9,7,5) and would like opinions on which hotels are best for families.

Since we'll be in town two separate nights (one night the day we arrive via Amtrak and one night before we leave) we can try two different hotels in two different areas, if need be.

I know for sure we'd like to visit the aquarium, the French Market and the Moonwalk. We'd like hotels convenient to these attractions so we don't have to spend a lot of our limited time "getting around".

I'd love to try hotels that feel like New Orleans (no Embassy Suites) but I don't want anything too B&B-feeling -- our kids love hotels and I don't think they'd like feeling as if they were staying in someone's house. A pool is a must and locations near great restaurants appropriate for families would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Lexma90

We've stayed a couple of times (pre-kids, though) at Place d'Armes. It's a nice, smaller, older hotel that's very close to Jackson Square. They have a pretty inner courtyard with a fountain and a pool, and offer free breakfast. It's not a luxury property, as I recall, but nice enough, and the location can't be beat. You're definitely close enough to have breakfast at Cafe du Monde every morning, if you want!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Lee

Thanks for the comment. Is the Place d'Armes the hotel with windowless rooms? I think that would bother me!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:29 PM
finn

I've heard the Omni Royal is nice, but I've never stayed there.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:18 PM
susan

A great place for kids, but a bad place for New Orleans ambience is the Riverside Hilton. The location is great for all sorts of kid activities, but the hotel itself is huge and impersonal. If you decide to stay there, ask for a room overlooking the river in the newer section.

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Barbara

Also going to NO with my three sons in May. I booked the Wyndham Bourbon Orleans for $75 a night through priceline.com and it has a pool and seems pretty centrally located. When we get back I'll let you know how it was...