Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans, hotel, must see & do, and car help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending 5 days in the french quarter in October, 2 women and our two 12 yr old daughters. Never been there and looking for a hotel with a heated outdoor pool in a convenient location to walk to everything. Doesn't need to be dirt cheap, but not top of the line either, willing to pay a little extra to get a hotel with a good "French Quarter feel". Will we need a car for anything? Willing to walk alot or take public transportation if needed. Did a search, took some notes, just looking for most current or any new information or advice. Lastly, any "must see" or "must do" or "must eat" advice? The girls are pretty adventurous and good travelers, and we don't need to stick to McDonalds (ugh) to make them happy. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:26 AM

Most 1700's and 1800's French Quarter properties do not have heated outdoor pools. If you HAD to choose, which is more important: 1)heated pool or 2) "French Quater feel" ?
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:41 AM

I like the Cornstalk Hotel
http://www.cornstalkhotel.com/pages/1/index.htm

For dining have at least one meal at RioMar - a 10 minute walk from the FQ. Best seafood in NO. Get the Gulf Shrimp!! http://www.riomarseafood.com/index_rm.htm

Spend a morning or afternoon at the zoo - right on the streetcar line. The 2nd best in USA (after San Diego).

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

The pool is a priority because the girls love to swim and we always take a pool break on vacation in the afternoon. I heard that in October in New Orleans, the pool should be heated in order to swim, is that right?
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 06:27 AM

I would suggest the Hotel Monteleone. It has a heated pool on the rooftop & is an old NO hotel. Walking in the front lobby reminds you of a hotel from the 40s.The location is convenient- Royal St in the Quarter & safe for women alone.
The French Market is the best place for inexpensive t-shirts as souvenirs. There are also several shops where they can watch pralines being made & taste them. Beware.. they can be addictive!

Masperos is a great place for huge sandwiches.It is right down from Jackson Square. You might also consider getting their caricatures done. We did it for my daughter's 16th birthday & her friends loved it. We played tourist in our own town & it was such fun.

Have a great time. October is usually a pleasant time of year since the extreme heat seems to let up a bit.