New Orleans hotel choices in French Quarter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at three nights during the last week of April in NO. These are all good locations and all under $100 a night. Any comments as to which is better?

Place d Armes
Maison DuPuy
Prince Conti
Hotel St. Marie

and for what it's worth, The Holiday Inn Express, just across Canal street from Bourbon, just out of the Quarter, but slightly cheaper than the others.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Believe it or not, I've been in all of those except the new Holiday Inn Express. The four in the French Quarter are all old, as you might know, and of those there is little to choose between them. If it were my choice, I would select Prince Conti, but ask to see the room first. Some of them are quite different. Good luck.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:13 AM

I've not stayed there personally, but have read many good reviews about Place d'Armes. We always stay at the Ramada Inn on Bourbon - it's located right on Bourbon Street and a kind of noisy.

Hope you have a good time in New Orleans and will do a trip report when you come back.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

When a message came up today of an AA roundtrip from Ft. Myers for $128 I decided to jump on it, so that's what started this.

I think I'm leaning towards the Prince Conti. I read TripAdvisor which wasn't a lot of help -- opinions so varied. But I did see several comments that the rooms at the Place d'Armes are not very charming -- more generic rather than atmospherically decorated, despite good reviews for the hotel.

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM

It isn't worth the lower price to be on the other side of Canal.

Only other comment I can make is that the locations of all but Maison DuPuy are great (Maison Dupuy is getting a bit close to Rampart on which I wouldn't want to walk at night).
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Not to disillusion you, Patrick, but as I said earlier, all those 4 hotels are similar. You will read good and not-so-good reports on all of them, but frankly every one of them is a decent place to stay. But don't expect "atmospheric" furnishings to pop up in many of them unless you are lucky.

Another reason I chose Prince Conti for my visits was that it is right across the street from my most favorite restaurant -- Broussard's.

Whichever you pick, you will probably be satisfied. I found all of them to be better than seedy but not quite up to the standards of the nicer NO hotels. Good luck.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Ooops. By the way, above I made a mistake. It was the Maison DuPuy that had the comments about the rather generic rooms, not Place d Armes.

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Patrick - Jazz Fest is April 24-26 and again April 30 to May 3, so if you find something available that you like, book now.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Interesting. That explains why the discount travel dates weren't good for the few days before or after I'm going to be there. And why when I was looking for the week before, the hotels rates skyrocketed over the weekend! I like the idea of being there on Monday to Thursday.

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM

We've always liked the Place d'Armes. Your comment about the generic rooms surprised me but I see you meant the Maison. Rooms at Place d'Armes have been quite nice and the courtyard very inviting and relaxing. Also found it very quiet considering the location.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM

We spent several nights at the Place d'Arms in 2007 and really liked it. We had a balcony room overlooking St. Ann street, which was nice. We liked having the extra space. The courtyard is neat too, so I think having a room that overlooked the courtyard would be great too. There are some interior rooms without windows at this hotel though - some people might not care, or if a person was going to be out really late every night and wanted to sleep it, they might actually be preferable - but I think a windowless room would be unerving.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM

The Prince Conti was unremarkable room-wise, but everyone we saw there was exceptionally friendly.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM

I've stayed at Maison DuPuy. It might have been my comments about generic rooms. I felt like I was in a Sheraton.

I've also stayed at Prince Conti. No complaints, but it's been several years.

I've always avoided Place d Armes just out of fear of getting a windowless room.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM

I have stayed at all of these & I'd choose the Place d'Armes first as well. Maison Dupuy while not well situated, has a great restaurant that is seldom mentioned, Dominique's. I have heard not so good things about the Hotel Ste. Marie recently & asked another poster to update me, but I've not heard anything yet. I would make that my last choice.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Since the best rate I found was the Conti, I went ahead and booked, but inadvertently did the $84 a night price (instead of the $89 AAA rate) which is a totally non-cancellable prepaid rate. So that's definitely where I'll be.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Just came back from New Orleans and stayed at the Hotel St Marie, my second stay there. The room was OK, not great. Staff is friendly coutyard adds to the charm. the Hotel is close to Bourbon and is on Touluse and great for walking all throughout the quarter.
Incidentaly ate at NOLA's this time. Wonderful! Had the Redfish.
Hope to be back soom.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Neo, I know it was not on your list but we stayed at the Hilton St. Charles and we loved it. It is an old historic building and it is on the other side of Canal, and something we really liked was that we were only a five minute walk from all the fun of the French Quarter but we fair enough away to get plenty of quiet.