New Orleans help needed - quick trip with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are debating stopping over in New Orleans a couple nights mid week with our preschool age kids. I would like to ride street car to Audobon Park and Zoo (we are aware it is a hike through the park) and see the Aquarium. As for the FQ, we would probably only go as far as Jackson's square and Cafe Du Monde - not the rest of the FQ.

Our main question is which hotel. Safety is our number one concern. We would prefer to leave the car at the hotel and not drive around. So, is there anything walkable to Aquarium and Jackson' Square and to streetcar stop?

Currently considering:

Embassy Suites (convention center) - I love staying in a suite with kids, but I can't really judge the neighborhood on this - is it walkable to anywhere? Safe?

Westin at Canal Place - reviews are mixed?

Monteleone - is it okay for families?

Loews? again, reviews are mixed

Any thoughts on the above or any other suggestions that would fit our needs?

Also, would love any family-friendly restaurant suggestions. Dc are well- behaved, so we don't need McDonald's, but are still kids, so no Commanders this trip!

TIA!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM

I'd recommend the Monteleone as an ideal place. It's toward the west end of the FQ, so you could even walk over easily to St Charles and nearby places. You need not worry about safety in the daytime, and most everywhere you want to go is safe all the time. Go and enjoy.

By the way, many of the FQ restaurants are just fine with kids.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
MAP

A fun thing to do would be to ride the street car to the end of the line and have breakfast at the Camellia Grill. We ate there last week and it was better than ever! Yummy grits, fabulous omelet, crispy pecan waffle, good coffee, fun service and sit on barstools. You can walk one block and climb up onto the levee for a great water view.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:11 AM

We stayed with our teenage boys at the Monteleone and found it perfect for us. It has a nice rooftop pool. Definitly a non-posh hotel.

For food, I strongly recommend ACME Oyster House - it will be fun both for the kids and for the adults! Just a stonethrow from the Monteleone.

www.acmeoyster.com