3 Days w/kids in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking a long weekend in mid-January to NOLA. We are staying at the JW Marriott and will have 3&6 year old boys with us. Any ideas on appropriate entertainment with the little ones? Also, has anyone ever left their kids with hotel babysitters? I'd love to see Bourbon Street, but there's no way I'm taking the boys there!
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:03 AM

I know that NO is known for having a great zoo, aquarium, and children's museum, so I think those all might be great places to take your kids. I belive there is some type of ticket/pass you can buy to do the zoo and aquarium for a combined price, so you might want to check into that.

As far as Bourbon street goes, you are smart to keep your kids away from there, at night. It would be fine to go walking down there during the day, and it would at least give you a chance to see the area. NO is a fun place, with lots of interesting people and sites. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:27 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:28 AM

PS--Keep your kids with you and skip Bourbon St or do it during the day, it's a huge waste of time and it stinks.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:47 AM

The last time we went to NO our kids were 4 and 1 yo. The 4yo loved it. We ate at Cafe du Monde every morning, and he loved the powdery sugar on the beignets. We spent time in Jackson Square and enjoyed the street performers. We took the paddelwheeler to the Audobon Zoo, spent some time afterward at the Park, then took the streetcar home. We took the ferry across the Mississippi and visited the Mardi Gras museum; we all liked that. We visited the Aquarium, which was ok, I just find Aquariums boring. We had a picnic lunch on the moonwalk (the boardwalk/sidewalk along the Mississippi) - both kids loved watching the boats.

Bourbon Street during the day is ok for kids, though it IS dirty and stinky. Luckily, your kids are young enough that they won't notice anything even if its early evening (I wouldn't take them there any later). Marriott probably has names of babysitting services. It's up to you whether you feel comfortable with an unknown babysitter, but we used one in NO so we could go out for a grownup dinner.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:52 AM

As mentioned, plenty to do outside of Bourbon St. but even during the day- it is a "raw" open area not appropriate for minors. Also consider one of the many swamp tours if you think your kids could tolerate the time involved??
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:12 AM

Mid-January could be cold. I would consider the Children's Museum which your boys will LOVE. Also the Aquarium/maybe IMAX would be a good indoors activity that is very special. Don't miss the huge Gulf of Mexico tank with the sharks, rays, redfish, sea turtles, etc. It is fascinating. Try Mulate's for dinner - it's a lively, authenic cajun restaurant across from the Convention Center where you can learn a little cajun two-step. All of you would enjoy a street-car ride uptown. Get off on Carrollton Ave. at the Camellia Grill for a great lunch at this well-loved diner. With small children, limited time and being there in January, I would skip the Mardi Gras museum and just concentrate in the Quarter with the Aquarium/Imax. Walking in the Quarter to get beignets will be fun and then take a cab to the Children's Museum. I don't have experience with hotel babysitters but I would ask lots of questions, references, etc. Have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Downsouth, when you say it's going to be cold - what do you consider cold? We're coming from upstate NY. 50-60 is balmy for us.

Thanks for the restaurant tips, do you think Emeril's restaurant is appropriate for the little ones? The 6 year old loves him, but I don't want to spend $50/plate for a child's meal. Also, if it's a quiet atmosphere, my guys wouldn't do well for an extended period of time.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 10:19 PM

There are so many things to do with a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old in New Orleans. Check out the children's museum, the aquarium, the IMAX movies, an early ghost tour (several companies with various start times; some don't even charge for kids), a ride on the ferry (again, free) which doesn't take all that long so they won't get bored. And as for the weather, it could go as low as the 30's or as warm as the 60's.

* J *