New Orleans for 4/Early Spring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm doing some research for a trip to New Orleans for 2 Houston married couples in the mid 30s. Any good recommendations for places to stay and absolute "musts" for things to do or see?? We like to have FUN - so of course we want to do the Bourbon St. thing - but we'd also like to take in some local culture. We don't have a date yet, but probably late March to end of April and just for a weekend - Friday night, Saturday and leave Sunday. Thanks!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM

Jazz Fest is April 22-24 and 28-31, so unless you plan to come in FOR that, you should plan to come earlier. The French Quarter Festival is April 8/10 (www.fqfi.org) so that may be a good weekend. You still get the live music without quite as many people in town.

Other than Bourbon Street (Saturday afternoons are my favorite time there), walk through the French Market for looking/shopping, along the river, Royal Street for galleries/antiques, take the streetcar down St. Charles Avenue, maybe walk a while on Magazine and then hop back on the streetcar towards the Quarter. That is my usual 30-something no-hurry weekend. You can do the D-Day Museum or Mardi Gras museum, but that doesn't really sound like what you are looking for!

Another night option is the bars on Frenchman Street if one night of Bourbon St is enough. dba, The Spotted Cat, Cafe Brazil. Lots of good music over there.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:46 AM
Dan

If you're coming for either festival, book now!!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Other suggestions of things to do:

* Take a walking tour of the French Quarter, Garden District, and/or cemetery.

* Tour some of the museums - the 1850 House is a good example of antibellum New Orleans.

* Take a carriage ride

* Ride the St Charles Street car

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:11 PM

we went down last June and had a great time. You'll be better off going in the spring while it's not so hot. We stayed at the Prince Conti on Conti, just off of Bourbon St and it was perfect. It was close enough to the action that you can just wonder down a block but not close enough to hear the noise from the hotel. There is also a small Irish Pub almost right across the street from the hotel. Also, if you're looking for a cheap but filling breakfast, there's a bar looking place directly across the street and a little to the left from the Prince Conti, that served a real good breakfast for a good price. We were mifted that we didn't try it till the last day.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM

As the others suggested, the French Quarter Festival keeps getting bigger crowds every year. Make reservations ASAP if you are interested.

There are two forums that may help you:

foodfest.new orleans.com - Talk Food with Tom Fitzmorris - this is a little of everything, restaurant reviews, recipes, mostly from locals who are passioniate about cooking and dining out.

neworleanstourguides.net - the website for the Tour Guide Ass of Greater NO. This is a non-profit organization with over 300 licensed tour guides - they would be glad to answer questions about their history,and suggestions for must-do's while visiting.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:58 AM
syd

If you like B&B's I'd highly recommend La Maison Marigny. It's just on the edge of the FQ, easy walk to restaurants, bars, shopping. Just a couple of blocks to some nice stops in the Marigny area for drinks. Music in the Marigny area also.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Another wonderful Marigny section B&B is B&W Courtyards. Just came back from a four day stay, and absolutely loved this place.

Agree with the recommendation for music on Frenchman Street. We also very much enjoyed the antique shops on Magazine. The Wyndham Hotel has a nice bar on the 12th (I think) floor, and wonderful views of the Mississippi.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Hi Travelcat. I just wanted to let you know, in case you hadn't spotted our earlier posts, that we're having a Houston Fodors get-together on Saturday, April 30th at 4:00 on the patio at Teala's. If you (or your spouse/friends) are interested in attending, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll add you to the list.

Have fun in New Orleans. We're going there in a couple weeks.

Susan