New Orleans Advice for October Trip

Jul 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

New Orleans Advice for October Trip

Hello,
My husband and I are planning a 4 Night/5 Day trip to NOLA mid-October, and we are looking for some recommendations. Although we have been 1/2 dozen times, never visited in the Fall. Last visited in 2007, and had a great time in spite of the August heat. What is the atmosphere like in October? I would imagine it is quieter than June.

Here are some MUSTS we always do:
1) Acme Oyster House as soon as we arrive from the airport and drop our bags off!
2) Split a Po' Boy at Johnny's.
3) Spicy Bloody Mary and Gumbo at Coop's
4) Cafe du Monde for at least one breakfast.
5) Tony Moran's on Bourbon Street for Fettucinne Carbonara
6) Tropical Isle to see Big Al Carson and sip some Hand Grenades!!
7) Lynchburg Lemonades at Pat O'Briens

We will be staying at the Omni Royal for the first time, and it seems to be in an excellent location. Now for the recommendations . . .. after much surfing of the web, I have the following for a list of possible breakfast/lunch ideas:
Surrey's Cafe and Juice Bar
Luke
Ralph & Kacoo's
Willie Mae's Scotch House
Any comment on these? I know we won't have time to go to all of them. Why do our NOLA trips always seem to revolve around the food and drinks???

For dinner we want to go back to Tujaque's, and we would like to try K-Paul's for the first time. I keep reading about "Chef's Table (Counter)". Can someone please clue me in on how to participate in that? Also, is it easier in October to get reservations for a Chef's Table?

I definitely want to go to Preservation Hall this trip. Every time we say we're going to, but we never get around to it!

One last question: Does anyone know about the Blues and BBQ Festival that weekend, and is it worth it?
I would appreciate any input from you! Thank you!
~Chilepepper
Jul 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Chilepepper,

I plan to be going to New Orleans in October as well.

October is actually one of the busiest months and is arguably the best month weatherwise. The summer is actually a slower time because of the heat and humidity.
Jul 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Me too, for a girls trip. It is a favorite time to go because it is cooler so there are a lot of meetings/conventions then. Did you get a good rate at the Omni? It is lovely based on passing through the lobby. My one meal at Kpauls was fantastic but it was two decades ago! No mention of Commanders' Palace in your plans?!! I hear that is a must as well. I have yet to do it.
Jul 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you bkluvsNola and ncounty! I had no idea NO would be busy in October, but that's great. I'm looking forward to going on long walks without sweating a gallon and having my hair plastered to my head!
I did get a good deal at the Omni Royal through Travelocity. Much better than trying to book flight and hotel separately. I am paying $1100 Total for flight and hotel for 2 people from Milwaukee to New Orleans and staying 4 nights at the Omni. I'm really happy that we get in around 11 AM, and we leave at 4PM on our last day, so we don't have to consider any days "wasted on traveling".
Where are you staying?
Jul 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM

bkluvsNola have you been to or heard recent reports on Bayona? It looks like Spicer is cooking again.

Am I correct that uglesich's is closed but that Mosca's is open again?

DW and I are going to NOLA in September for our anniversary.
Jul 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM

we haven't booked anything yet, chilepepper. It's not fully committed and I have to find the dates. It is during a big meeting of surgeons because one of my friends is attending the meeting.....so hotels will likely be scarce and expensive. I better get on it! The Omni would be great; I've also stayed at the Kimpton hotel and it was nice.
Jul 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

notbob,
I am sad to report that Uglesich's closed while we there in August of '07. Our favorite restaurant. Ever.
We have a cookbook though, and have made a few recipes.
Jul 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM

Chilepepper,

Since you are from Milwaukee, please remember that "cool" in New Orleans is relative. The weather can still be mid 80's but the humidity is lower. Most likely you'll get low 80's in the day and 60's at night, but you won't get cool weather like you have in Milwaukee that time of year. New Orleans in October is probably like Milwaukee in June...
Jul 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM

notbob,

Usually Bayona's is off my radar but if Spicer is cooking I may reconsider. Emeril's, K-Pauls, Camilia's Grill, and Commanders Palace are where I'm planning to eat...
Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

I just might have to check out this Commander's Palace . . .
Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM

Chilepper-
Where did you get the cookbook? What is the name of the cookbook? I hope I can find it on Amazon. Thanks.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM

Millie - you can order through Uglesich's website or Amazon. there are now two cookbooks.

http://www.uglesichs.com/
Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM

bkluvsNola - The perhaps I can make some other suggestions to expand your choices ;-)
first two are the elegant side and the last two on the divey, middle of no where side. All have excellent food.

Our favorite Emeril operation in New Orleans is NOLA in the Quarter.

http://www.emerils.com/restaurant/2/NOLA-Restaurant/

This one is in the Riverbend area not too far from the Grill

http://www.brigtsens.com/

If you have a car, this place is worth the drive across the Huey P Long bridge to Waggoner.

http://www.moscasrestaurant.com/

This one is a ways north of the city just off I-55 on Lake Pontchartrain. They have the best fried catfish filets you will ever have in your life. thin and crispy are our favorites.

http://www.middendorfsrestaurant.com/
Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM

Hi- I think someone mentioned Camellia Grille at the bend in the streetcar line just past Tulane - However, I heard it was closed since Katrina. I am thinking of an October visit as well. On a previous visit stayed at Loews - very nice. - this time thinking of Windsor court - having tea there is sublime and wonderful. I always enjoy Arnauds very much. Commanders Palace is over-rated in my opinion. For breakfast - PETUNIAS in the quarter was wonderful. Hope it is still there - would love to go again. I also really like Acme oyster house. I want to explore more of Magazine street and heard of a restaurant called August, and Bayona (?) that are supposed to be great. Jacques Imos (not in the quarter and just beyond garden district) - mobbed, mostly locals - and very neat and interesting food - rattlesnake cheesecake is a specialty there - you might really enjoy that (i saw they had one in manhattan - surprised me). have fun!! NOLA is a place where you always need to be on your toes for pickpockets - we had four hundred dollars stolen there - they gang up on you in teams and push and shove as you try to enter a streetcar.
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Marlenie - Supposedly Camellia Grill opened again.
Jul 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Petunia's in the Quarter closed this summer. I sure hated to hear that!
Jul 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM

marlenie,

Camilia's Grill has since reopened.
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everyone's help. A side note on the uglesich's website (which is where I ordered my cookbook) they will sign it for you if you ask them to when you order it.
I was on Chowhound recently, and they were recommending Petunia's for breakfast -- I wonder if it was an outdated website I found? Has anyone tried Luke or Surrey's Juice Bar? I have tried the Sunday brunch at Court of Two Sisters and was not impressed, but then I rarely like a buffet in general.
Oct 17th, 2009, 06:55 AM

What was it you didn't like a the Court of Two Sisters?