NEW MEXICO/TEXAS ADVICE NEEDED

Old Dec 27th, 1998, 10:40 PM
NIGEL DORAN

NEW MEXICO/TEXAS ADVICE NEEDED

I would like to go to New Mexico and Texas next year, probably in mid-September. I have visited Arizona and loved it there, and want to know whether that would mean I would like these 2 states. I appreciate that Texas is huge, but I want to spend 2 weeks travelling, flying into one airport and out of another to save backtracking. Which ones?
Also, since my partner and I like food, good wine, brew pubs, local history/history, and would like to incorporate a beach element into the holiday too. Recommendations?
I have just finished reading 'Los Alamos', about the development of the atom bomb in the mid-40s, and was attracted by the descriptions of the deserts. Which are the best places to go to for this aspect?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 09:57 AM
Deborah

I live in San Antonio, TX. Frankly, Texas in September will be SOOOO HOT!!!
We don't go outside in the summer months--too humid and hot and buggy. So honestly, I would recommend waiting until October or November even. Right now, we have 40's at night, 70's in the day time. Summers are more like 70-80 at night and over 100 every day.

Just thought you might want to factor this in.

Good luck with your trip.

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 02:04 PM
Dee

We live in Arizona and are happy you enjoyed your visit here. We also have family living in New Mexico and are over there 3 or 4 times a year and love it. If you could move your trip to maybe the last week of September and the first week or two of October you would be able to see the world famous Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. It's awesome and fun - at least 800 balloons going up in waves and in the air at one time. You are at the vagaries of the weather but in the l4 years we've been going only two years were weathered out.
Also the Santa Fe and Taos areas are interesting - a little touristy but definitely western (as in Indian).
As far as good food. etc. Santa Fe wins hands down there. You almost can't go wrong - too numerous to name. Definitely plan a trip to Los Alamos - they have a wonderful museum - not dry but most interesting. The area is interesting too. I guess I've written too much - but you can see we do vote for New Mexico. If you have questions feel free to ask and we'll try to answer.

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 02:56 PM
Linda

Texas is hot, but not unbearable in mid-September--the later the better. While I love my hometown Dallas;with 2 weeks, you need to hit other places. The best is San Antonio. It has Hispanic and German influences, the Alamo (state shrine), Riverwalk (pubs, restaurants, jazz bars, etc.), 3 amusement parks, missions (Mariachi mass at Mission San Jose at noon on Sunday), etc. About 1 hour north is Austin (state capital), 1 hour northwest is the Hill Country, 3 hours (driving)south is Corpus Christi & North Padre Island on the Gulf of Mexico, 3 hours southwest is Mexico border towns. South of Houston (30 minutes drive)is the NASA area and the Space Center is worth the visit . Galveston Island and more beach is 30 minutes drive south of NASA. For good information, try www.TravelTex.com
Texans are friendly and Texas is the best!

Old Dec 30th, 1998, 02:32 PM
Larry

New Mexico can take up your entire 2 weeks & leave you wanting to return to see more. The HUGE Hot Air Balloon Fiesta is held in Albuquerque in late Sept/Early Oct but lodging will be very hard to find during that week unless you make reservations now. There is so much to see & do in NM that I'll try sending some info direct on just northern NM.

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 06:40 AM
Bob Brown

I agree with the "hot" people who have already stated their case. One place that is not hot is Carlsbad Caverns.
If you have never seen it (them), it is well worth it. The rooms are large and the formations interesting. And the cave is a constant 56 degrees.

Bandelier National Monument close to Santa Fe is nice. Santa Fe is rarely hot because of the altitude. But this is getting well away from Texas.

The White Sands National Monument is interesting. We went out at sundown so that the sand would not burn our feet.