Reload this Page >

New Orleans Hotel Locations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 09:21 AM
Brian

Looking to escape the Canadian cold in February, need input as to safe and reliable accomodations within walking distance to activity and nightlife in New orleans!

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 10:28 AM
JoAnn

Try these websites--www.nawlins.com
www.nola.com or www.washingtonpost.com--their travel section, or www.miningco.com All have accomadation listings--another really good one is either Fodor or Frommers New Orleans guide book. We were there in Sept. and saw several nice ones in the French Quarter. We were timesharing, but had no problems walking around at night--and we're more on the "Sr." side.

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 11:13 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I hope you're not planning on coming for Mardi Gras as everything has been sold out for a while. I'm not sure when it is.

Definately stay in the French Quarter. Do not be tempted by lower rates to stay on Canal St. or North Rampart. It's very safe in the Quarter, but the surrounding areas can be somewhat intimidating.
Our favorite hotel (we go a couple of times a year) is the Dauphine Orleans. It's on Dauphine Street which is one block from Bourbon, but it's quiet enough at night. They have a great web site at www.dauphineorleans.com. Ask for the AAA rate (or CAA) for a good discount. Try to get a 2nd or 3rd floor room facing Dauphine with a balcony.
If they're full or too expensive (we usually are able to get a $79 rate), try www.180096hotel.com for discounted hotels. It's a great service with maps and pictures and easy reservations. You have to pay up front for your stay, but they are very reputable and I've used them without a hitch a couple of times.
New Orleans is one of my favorite places in the world. Post back if you would like more info on bars/restaurants/hotels. You're not from Toronto, are you?

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 05:05 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Thx for the reply, good info which I will check into!
We are into new Orleans on Feb. 222 which is a few days after a convention we have in Biloxi.
This is our first trip to New Orleans, so obviously value any available info! We are big jimmy buffett fans, so obviously a stop at the margaritaville Cafe is high on our list. other than that, tour away.
We are from Edmonton which is in Alberta, int he west. It has been very cold here (-35 deg. C) so welcome a southern break!
As mentioned, any input is welcome!

Regards,

Brian

Old Dec 31st, 1998, 05:39 PM
JoAnn

Brian, a couple of places we ate at that we thought were good: The Praline Connection (soul food) Mike Anderson's on Bourbon St. (great seafood), The Gumbo Shop, Ajax Oyster House. Also a little buffet place on the corner of Jackson Sq., close to the Church-some buffet, some cook as you order. And do go to Cafe du Monde for the coffee and Beignets! That's a MUST. Try the pralines, and try the bread pudding (didn't like it until I ate it in New Orleans). The National Park Service offers free walking tours. They are near the French Market behind Cafe du Monde somewhere. We didn't find out about it until we left! There are also haunted house tours, voodoo tours. Just looking at the buildings is fun.