Search

New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Hampshire

Must see sights in New Hampshire? Landmarks, famous / historical sites, and recommend food ?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:00 AM

We loved the white mountains.Drive up mount Washington.Do the Kamcamagus highway.The lakes.Stay in Jackson.paul
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Your question is extremely open ended. Is there a particular time of year you plan to visit? Are you outdoor enthusiasts or prefer touring by car? Some guidelines would be helpful in steering you to things you would enjoy the most.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:00 PM

We enjoyed Flume Gorge and the Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway which are all part of Franconia Notch State Park. Also loved driving around and seeing the small little towns such as Littleton and Bethlehem.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Portsmouth is lovely and you could also go up to the Dartmouth College area.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Canterbury Shaker Village, Canterbury, NH
Mount Washington/Presidential Range
Cog Railway
Antique shops everywhere
Pepi Herrmann handcut crystal, Gilford, NH (Austrian master crystal cutter - one of very few in the US - his workshop and store and located together).

Towns: Portsmouth, Peterborough, Meredith, Hanover, Mount Washington Valley area, North Conway.

Beyond that, can you give us some indication as to your interests?
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 12:56 AM

I'll second the Kamcamagus highway. I wish we had spent more than one day in the area.

Utahtea
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 03:00 AM

What everyone else said. Plus Strawbery Banke Historic Area in Portsmouth. Haven't been but have heard good reports for the Kearsarge Indian Museum in Warner.
I stopped in the Coop in Lebanon yesterday (same intersection as Dartmouth Hitchcock medical center but opposite street). What a great grocery. You can buy locally made cheese. There are several wineries in NH but Flag Hill in Lee is the only distillery as well (General John Stark Vodka). If it's Sept, an orchard that grows heirloom varieties like Gould Hill in Hopkinton. Locally made ice cream, so far the one most off the beaten path that we've visited is Sandwich Creamery which is near one of the prettiest small towns in the state. Portsmouth has great restaurants. Manchester does too, might have more ethnic varieties. Probably world famous pancakes at Polly's Pancake Parlor. Chocolate at Burdicks in Walpole.

If you're a visitor, try to do something local. During the summer, take a picnic supper to a free concert. There's a fiddlers' picnic we've enjoyed. Old Farm Day and antique tractors at Musterfield Farm. NH League of Arts and Crafts Open Studio weekend.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Skiing, snow shoeing, ice climbing
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM

dfrost, I'm so glad you mentioned the Coop in Lebanon. I have been there in the past, loved the food choices in their deli but forgot the name of the place. Now I can refer other to it also.

I wish they had a location down towards the Manchester area.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

great ideas....thanks everyone...
to be more specific....we want to see the beautiful scenery, possibly fish in the evenings during the sunset with a glass of wine and stay in a cottage with 2 master suites with a beautiful view...the antique stores will be a draw and all the local restaurants...don't like super big commercial areas but prefer to quaint little towns ....can't wait to stop at the Coop. I am leaning towards staying in Jackson area and flying in and out of Portland airport...hope this helps with your thoughts as to what we should not miss...I am trying to
give my Father one more experience from his bucket list.
Thanks again!!
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Portland would make a wonderful visit, esp a boat trip on Casco Bay. We did the mail boat run in June. But it could also be an easy day trip from Jackson.

It's been ages since we drove between the mountains and the Maine coast but one of the great things about MHT and heading north on Rt 93 is that it's a pretty drive. Lots of trees and then you start seeing the mountains until you are right there. But Portland is probably closer.

Jaya, the Concord Food Coop isn't as large but it's a nice store and a great place to buy herbs and spices. Doesn't have the great deli though. I guess the Lebanon Food Coop is more like a small Whole Foods.