Search

New England Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Amanda

New England Trip

My husband and I are planning two weeks in New England..the end of September, beginning of October. Our loose thinking is starting on the Conn. coast, then Rhode Island, Boston, Bar Harbor..haven't decided about Nova Scotia yet..then go back through NH and Vermont. Would appreciate any ideas about the best places to visit, lodging, restaurants, etc. We're into wildlife/bird watching, typical tourist things, history, great food and nice lodging.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 07:31 PM
J

I don't know what the weather would be like in Nova Scotia around that time. We went last year in July and had wonderfully sunny weather. The people were really friendly. Very quiet there (we were up on the island where the Cabot Trail is). There's probably lots of bird-watching, although we wouldn't know. We stayed at the Duncreigan Country Inn in Mabou which I would really recommend. Nice rooms and good food. The US dollar goes a long way up there, too!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Laura

Amanda,

I spent 10 days a few years ago in New England and loved it. My one piece of advice is, don't try and to too much. We spent lots of time driving and packing and unpacking our bags - which for me is just not fun - so much that when we went back 2 years later, we just stuck to Vermont and did a lot of sightseeing from there. Bar Harbor is a looong way from Rhode Island.

Whatever your plans, have a great holiday! I know I did!

Laura

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:23 AM
Donna F

Nova Scotia deserves a separate trip. The foliage starts north so you might want to start north and head south. Check out places to visit at Yankee Magazine's site www.newengland.com. I would highly recommend an afternoon boat trip out of Portsmouth NH to see the foliage. Or try a foliage cruise from Bath, Maine with the Maritime Museum. Check with local Audubon Societies and see if they are sponsoring any field trips. We had a great tour of lighthouses last August with the Maritime Museum. It was a full day trip and probably one of the very best days we've ever had. Great host. You will also be visiting during the time of the Eastern States Exposition in Springfield MA. It's a very large agricultural fair plus interesting exhibits by each of the states and some good shows. You can skip the midway and still have more than enough to see and do. A visit to Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth NH, Old Sturbridge Village in MA, or Plimoth Plantation in MA should be on your list. Burlington VT is a great small city and would also be a good choice. BTW flying into Manchester NH or Providence RI is much easier than Boston's Logan. Providence RI celebrates Waterfire around the time you are visiting. Make sure to have some apples fresh off the tree, a fried clam and scallop dinner and a good lobster roll. To keep mileage down, you might want to consider only going up the Maine coast as far as Camden or Boothbay. Have a great time!

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Ann

Amanda, here's another vote to skip Nova Scotia. It's a fabulous destination, but with only two weeks, you'll miss too much of the rest of New England. We spent eight days there last Sept. and could have easily done with more time. Plus, transportation is not cheap and takes a significant chunk of time (via ferry or even cat from Bar Harbor) to travel there and back. Stick to the rest of the region and you'll have a wonderful time.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 07:19 AM
Meg

Amanda, as a Vermonter who has been to Nova Scotia a few times let me tell you it is a looooooooooooong drive, and I might add more than a bit boring once you get past Bangor, ME. You could stick to the coast, but that would make it even longer. You can take the overnight ferry from Portland, but NS is still far from New England any way you slice it. Canada's maritime provinces are beautiful and certainly worth their own trip.

That being said, if you are hitting New England to see the foliage Donna is right -- you probably should plan on starting in the North and heading South. Many years in central Vermont our leaves are long off the trees by the second week of October. This year foliage seemed later and Columbus Day weekend was beautiful, but our leaves have been known to peak by the end of September. Flying into Manchester, NH might be a good bet. You could make a circle. Drive up into Southern Maine, along the coast, then cut West through northern NH (see Mt. Washington and stay at the Mt. Washington Hotel). Then into the pristine Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Start heading South through Vermont, into Western Mass, then start cutting east again to the coast of RI or CT and head north again, ending in Boston for a few nights and up to Manchester to fly home. It's still an awful lot of ground to cover in two weeks. New England looks small, but there's so much to see here. I always recommend spending at least two nights in each place so you don't get too exhausted.

Also, don't forget to make reservations, particularly in N. New England over the weekends. Foliage is our peak time of the year.

Have a great trip!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:02 AM
hannah

Amanda,

I'd definitely recommend spending some time in Northern New Hampshire for great hiking and moose spoting (you said you like wildlife). Rte. 3 near Pittsburg is a great spot, called "Moose Alley". I've been there several times and always see a number of Moose. It's probably about 2 hours north of the Mt. Washington Hotel - right near the Canadian border.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 09:36 AM
John

Agree with above posters. This is peak season so reservations a must.
The foliage starts turning from North to South starting the end of Sept.
If you could do it, fly into Burlington, Vermont. Spend a day there then head to Stowe. Spend at least a day in that area. then head accross Vt to NH and the white Mountains ending in the area of N. Conway. Continue east to the coast of Maine. (all this travel NOT on interstates. Go to Kennebunkport and go alongthe coast of Maine to the MA border (Ogunquit etc). Then into Boston for 2-3 days (Don't miss the Boston Duck tours). From Boston go to Newport RI for a day. (skip the Cape). Then along the Conn coast then "home" (where is that?).
If you needed to fly into and out of the same airport, Hartford Conn would be "central". If you did that I would drive up Rt 100 in Vt to Stowe then do the above.
A great trip but maybe too ambitious?
(I live in Lexington Mass and have been all over New England).
Good luck.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:00 PM
Mary Olmeda

Being from CT, there are many quaint towns near the shore. One well known town is Essex, CT (they have a steam train and boat ride on the CT River). Essex is even just a quaint town to walk around. There is also Mystic, CT, which has its own little town and Mystic Village (Mystic Village is located next to Mystic Aquarium).

I would definitely try to go to Newport, RI, if you have never been there. It is right on the water, and again, boat trips are offered. There are also the Newport Mansions to visit.

Boston is a great historic city to visit.

We go to Maine every year, and one of our favorite places is Ogunquit, ME. It is VERY QUAINT (you have to take a walk along the Marginal Way-it is about a one mile walkway, situated right above the Maine coastline. It leads to Perkins Cove, again, another place where boat trips might depart from, depending on the time of the year.)

We also eat at a little restuarant in Kennebunkport, ME, called Mabel's. George Bush Sr. has eaten here, and his home is actually located just a few miles from this restuarant. Wonderful food. We like the dinner better than the lunch.

There is so much to see in New England, but if you're in NH, you may want to try to go see Mt. Washington. We went in May, and took a little train up to the top of the mountain.

In VT, around Columbus Day Weekend, there are many festivals and on Columbus Day, there is an apple pie festival in Dummerston, VT-this was written up in a Yankee Magazine. My family has been going to this festival for about sixteen years. It is held outside a little Congregational Church and they sell pies whole or by the slice with homemade icecream or cheese.

Hope this helps you and enjoy!!

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 08:42 AM
zz-top

VERMONT --- VERMONT --- VERMONT !

Grew up outside of Boston & for reason that I can't explain, our family often visited New Hampshire (also a great place), BUT never went to Vermont (so close? yes I know it doesn't make any sense!).

ANYHOW, finally at the age of forty-something I was back up in New England visiting family. And one of my sisters & I decided to do a 3 day visit to Burlington, VT. Oh-my-goodness, did I say Vermont is a pretty place to visit? So, all I can say is GO TO VERMONT --- if you have to cut out other cities, do so, but GO TO VERMONT!