New Englandís Foliage

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Englandís Foliage

Hi, We're planning to go to new england area to see foliage at the beginning of October for 5-7 days. I'm thinking about flying to Boston, then use it as base to go to the nearby areas, e.g., Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island. Since we have never been these areas before, I need some help to work out my itinerary. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Beginning of October? That means going north - northern part of NH/VT/ME. Not going to see any foliage around Boston or RI that early.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Start here http://www.yankeemagazine.com/foliage/index.php

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:24 AM

For northern foliage viewing, Manchester NH airport would be very convenient unless you just want to spend a few days in Boston. Boston to Concord NH is only 1 hr 15 minutes, but why face heavy commuting traffic? The lakes and mountains are another hour further north. Splitting your time between Vermont and NH would work well. A town on the border such as Woodstock/Norwich VT would make a good base. If you check a schedule of events you will also find foliage festivals you may wish to attend. A foliage cruise or train ride would also be great and give the drive a break.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:25 AM
gc

Or, you could fly in to Burlington VT (BTV) and start your journey in the Green Mountains and work your way south and east. As a point of reference, "peak" color occurs in central and northern NE one week on either side of Columbus day weekend.

Check out the Yankee web site and start booking ASAP. Some years it seems like half of the country is up here...
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:07 AM

With 7 days, flying out of Boston would make sense if you want to spend a night or two in the city (Boston is great), otherwise go for Manchester NH or Burlington Vt. Rhode Island is great in the summer, but it doesn't compare to Vt and NH for foliage. The ideal would be to fly into Burlington, meander thru the Green Mtns of Vt, and the White Mtns of NH, then a night or two on the Maine coast, then a night in Boston, and fly out of there.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everyone, your input are very helpful. Seems there is no direct flight from dallas to Burlington around my vacation start date, We might still fly in and out through Boston. Split our time between VT, NH, ME coast and Boston.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM
gc

If you're coming from Dallas, I assume you're flying American. They have no service to BTV. United, USAir, Continental, Delta, JetBlue and Independence are your choices. If you need more answers, pls ask!