Reload this Page >

New England First Timer

Search

New England First Timer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 1998, 05:01 AM
Sabrina Nugara

New England First Timer

We're Londoners doing our first fly-drive tour of New England/Canada this year, starting and ending at Boston mid July - mid August. From what I've read so far while planning our route I can't wait! (1) Does anyone have any dos and don'ts they'd like to share re: driving through various states (2) any places to absolutely avoid as being too touristy (we're in this for the culture/meeting people not the tourist thing) and (3) don't lynch me but just HOW strict are the smoking policies? We don't wish to offend! Your helpful replies will be much appreciated. Sabrina

Old Apr 24th, 1998, 03:20 PM
Donna

Highly recommend that you pick up a copy of New England's Best Loved Driving Tours. This is a spectacular reference for beautiful towns to explore and all the sights along the way. Great maps and photos. We live in Southern New Hampshire and travel all over New England. There is no destination that I would describe as "too touristy". As for driving, there are only a few tips. Don't drive in Boston. Between the lack of signs, the construction, the winding and one-way streets, limited and expensive parking - well, just don't. Park the car at the hotel and take the subway or a cab. If you are planning to go to "the Cape", plan to arrive and return mid-week. Lots of traffic weekends. Route One in Maine gets busy during the summer. Best to take the highway on weekends. North Conway, NH is a popular destination because of the outlet stores (and, there's no sales tax in NH!). But, unless you plan to visit the outlets, there's a back road that by-passes that area. As for smoking, if you plan to stay in small inns or B&B's, be advised that nearly all of them are "smoke free". In the motels and hotels, you must request a "smoking" room. Smoking is not permitted in public places or on public transportation and so forth. More and more states are passing "smoke free" restaurant laws, although you can usually smoke in the bar or bar area - and often enjoy your meal there as well. If being able to smoke during your meal is important to you, you'll have to call the restaurant and inquire as to whether or not they have a smoking section. No one will mind if you leave the table to have a cigarette in the bar during your meal. Many restaurants have tables outdoors during the nice weather and you can smoke there. In Canada, the "anti-smoking" movement is just getting underway, so you can smoke in most restaurants. Do hope you are going to Montreal. Not to be missed are the fireworks competitions and the jazz festival in mid-July.

Old Apr 25th, 1998, 04:14 PM
ellen

Except for Boston, I really don't think driving will be too much of a problem. It may sound strange to you, but I never really understood what "touristy" is. But I live in the area and below I will give you what my top picks would be.
Portsmouth NH- go to the outdoor museum
Salem MA- see the history about witches. Very interesting to tour the houses.
Cape Ann, MA to see a whale watch
Ogunqit Maine- be sure to watch the marginal way. Just spectacular.
Newport RI%3D see the mansions.
The White Mountains of NH. Lovely. If you like touring homes, see Castle in the Clouds in Moltonborough.
Good Luck

Old Apr 27th, 1998, 06:03 PM
Mac

As a californian who has visited new england once and is going again this May I would suggest you visit Woodstock Vermont. This is a quaint little town with great restaurants. Also consider staying in bed and breakfasts. A good way to get some local information and meet interesting people. Also I suggest Kennibunkport Maine. A neat little fishing village. Relax and enjoy and don't rush.

Old Apr 29th, 1998, 07:28 PM
Joy

We toured the New England states three years ago and travelled exclusively throughout Vermont last summer. We enjoyed visiting Plymouth, Massachusetts, seeing the Mayflower II, a good place to eat in Plymouth is the Lobster Hut (great seafood at a good price); in New Hampshire we drove around the Kancamagus Highway and liked the Old Man of the Mountains-looks like a man's face, you have to use the viewfinders to actually see it, stay away from Conway, NH, outlet stores %3D too many people! In Vermont we liked the Shelburne Museum, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory in Waterbury (okay, it was touristy but fun & free ice cream at the end) and the Vermont Raptor Center near Woodstock. As far as traffic, Boston was not very good, Newport, Rhode Island was terrible, most of the coastal highways were busy in the summer. We also found that signposting was not terribly good, especially in Massachusetts. Make sure you get a good map. We stayed at several B & B's, inns, etc. throughout New England, e-mail me if you have any particular questions. I have an excellent guidebook that I would be happy to send over to you and you could mail it back before you leave the States. Have fun!

Old Apr 30th, 1998, 04:49 AM
sabrina

Donna, Ellen, Mac and Joy - Many thanks for your extremely informative and helpful answers; I'll definitely be adding your restaurant and town stops to our itinery - in particular the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory (we don't get the full range in all our supermarkets but it's absolutely scrummy!)
Joy: thanks for your kind offer I will certainly be getting in touch. Sabrina

Old Apr 30th, 1998, 03:01 PM
Donna

I cannot tell you how nice (such wonderful manners you have!) it is of you to have posted a thank you message. I'm sure others will agree that, after having put much thought into a reply, one never knows if their message was even read!