New England COVID situation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m hoping to plan a trip for the fall to Boston & a road trip up the NE coast, but I’m concerned about COVID issues. I know that unless there are some psychics on board here that no one can know what it’s going to be like in the fall, but what is the present situation? Are restaurants, museums, etc. still closed? If places are starting to reopen now, maybe that would give me an idea of what the fall would look like. Hopefully, much better!
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 12:01 AM

It would be best for you to check particular museum policies before you visit. The Boston MFA is open right now with timed entries and masks requested. Visit | Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (mfa.org)
The Farnsworth in Rockland ME is also open now. VISIT THE FARNWORTH - Farnsworth Art Museum (farnsworthmuseum.org)
Outdoor dining is starting to open as the weather gets warmer. I'm not sure when we will consider indoor dining even though we've already had our second shot. We typically visit Maine in the summer and love outdoor dining places, typically lobster shack type places. Cases of covid have been increasing but should go down again. I will be wary of large city areas where there are a lot more cases. The last time we visited Boston we stayed in a suburban air b&b and ubered in. I have my fingers crossed that a popular event will resume in October where we stay at a hotel off the I495 area and eat at area restaurants.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about BOSTON since it's a large city and could have an outbreak at any time I suppose, especially with new variants popping up. But New England on the whole did okay last summer and fall. There were test/quarantine/isolation rules in Maine but most everything was still open (limited capacity) and there were no worrisome outbreaks. By this fall they should have the whole thing down pat. Problems will probably mostly with covid-weary people who are sick and tired of the rules. Monitor how the summer goes in New England and you'll have a good idea about what the fall will bring.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 02:58 PM

You must realize that Labor Day wknd will bring ten of thousands of college students to the Boston area which will no doubt drive numbers up. However, if you are smart, stay away from college bars, restaurants, and hotels where parents stay (do your research), and if the weather is still warm, you should be fine. Museums should definitely include the fabulous Isabella Gardner collection right across the street from Fenway Park. Check out the Loews Hotel which location was fabulous for walking all over town. And include the JFK Library Museum too, you can get there on public trans, but it's much easier to just drive there. You will not need a car downtown otherwise.
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the tips!