What's The Covid Situation In California Now?

Old Nov 19th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's The Covid Situation In California Now?

What's the covid situation in California now, Is it safe to travel especially during Thanksgiving?
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 04:11 PM

Unsafe to travel. Sorry.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 04:12 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It's bad everywhere.

https://apnews.com/article/cdc-guide...f1433e6a3e2efd
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 04:28 PM

OP other states would appreciate it if you confined yourself to Texas instead of trying to find "someplace warm".

California just got a new curfew order starting Saturday. Nothing should be open nor should anyone be traveling between 10pm and 5am.
https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/11/19/st...d-of-covid-19/

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 19th, 2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 05:44 PM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
It isn't safe to travel here, especially during Thanksgiving. Enjoy yourself being alive at home.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 05:55 PM

A virus expert on the news tonight put it plainly... "Better to be home for Thanksgiving than in the ICU for Christmas or Hanukkah."
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 07:37 AM

Also, upon arrival in California from absolutely anywhere else, you are expected to quarantine for fourteen days.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 07:59 AM

I got Norene mixed up with orangepetal, the Texas person who needed to go somewhere warm. Regardless, assuming Norene has a home, they should stay there. California just had their highest daily total of COVID-19 cases.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 10:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Also, upon arrival in California from absolutely anywhere else, you are expected to quarantine for fourteen days.
Quarantine is definitely recommended but not required nor enforced. There is no check/follow up that one is quarantining or self-isolating. That being said the rules change by the day (sometimes by the hour) and now is a terrible time to even consider travel out here.

I personally think the curfew is a needless/silly rule -- why is it any more dangerous to be out at 11PM that a 8 or 9?? If socializing in bars/lounges/clubs is what they want to control -- do that, don't mandate a curfew.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 10:51 AM

The problem is as much private gatherings as it is bars etc.

But yeah, without enforcement it's essential meaningless.

Maybe Newsom should fine himself for his French Laundry stunt.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
Quarantine is definitely recommended but not required nor enforced. There is no check/follow up that one is quarantining or self-isolating. That being said the rules change by the day (sometimes by the hour) and now is a terrible time to even consider travel out here.

I personally think the curfew is a needless/silly rule -- why is it any more dangerous to be out at 11PM that a 8 or 9?? If socializing in bars/lounges/clubs is what they want to control -- do that, don't mandate a curfew.
The curfew has also been called a "limited stay-at-home restriction"

Without a complete lock down, maybe like the earlier French lock down, it is easier to restrict commercial venues than private gatherings. Anything but a complete lock down is a compromise, especially when testing and tracking are inadequate.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 07:26 PM

Stay away from Orange County. Our hospitalizations and ICU cases are going straight up, https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...orange-county/.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 07:37 AM

California would be a useless place to come for vacation right now. I wouldn't risk it because the rules are changing daily.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 08:26 AM

The traveling is safe enough if by car, it's the stopping anywhere and staying that is th eproblem.

The curfew isn't silly and especially not "needless". It is definitely needed given the spread. First, closing early limits the time exposure if anyone who has been there all night.That is important. Not only for clients, but for the people who work in these places. Furthermore, it sets a tone, also, and generally affects the thinking of people. Also, people who stay out real late at night often tend to act differently, they are just not the same kind of people going out to dinner at 6 pm. Besides, closing early means less people overall that night are possibly exposed given places have limits on how many people can be in them at once. Furthermore, studies have shown (contact tracing) that the number of exposures doubles after 9 pm compared to earlier in the evening.

I agree totally closing down bars would be better, but this is better than nothing.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Not a good idea. We are, for the most part, on semi lock-down. There's not a lot of reason to travel when nothing is really open except for essential. And the idea of going somewhere to get take out to eat in your hotel room doesn't strike me as being fun.

I suspect the reason for the 10 p.m. curfew is the fact that the most predominant age group in the last few months, at least in Los Angeles County, is the 18 - 29 age group. This appears to be the group feeling most of the pandemic "fatigue", although don't get me wrong, those of us in the 60+ age group feel it the same, but we acknowledge that just because it weighs down heavy on us, we're generally smart enough to not play roulette with our lives. I think I started thinking this way the year I came to the realization that I was not immortal or invincible!

Anyway, from what I've seen and read, the age group described above is more likely to stay out late outside at bars, or clubbing, even if on the rooftops of apartment buildings or renting a party house. And friends are not socially distancing at outdoor drinking/dining spots, or wearing masks (which they don't have to if eating or drinking).

We also had the Dodger win, the Lakers win, Halloween, the election partying and what-not. And even though there was a lot of mask wearing, the crowds generated by these events helped create the issues we now face. Not to mention the cooler weather making outdoor dining and drinking in LA less inviting.

Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 09:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"First, closing early limits the time exposure if anyone who has been there all night"

"Besides, closing early means less people overall that night are possibly exposed given places have limits on how many people can be in them at once"

The problem is this forces anyone/everyone who is out into a shortened period so there are bigger crowds. We aren't talking about someone being on the town for the whole night -- just for example going to dinner or meeting at the pub. They've learned in the UK that the curfew means people - especially younger adults - will rush out to socialize during the shorter hours so most venues will be more crowded than if they were open longer and could space out the crowds. Plus it really increases the numbers using public transport at the same time (not that big an issue in most parts of the States) I could see maybe a cut off/limit for liquor sales at 10 or 11PM but not a curfew. This will end up like Prohibition -- with 'underground' breaking of the rules and even more spread.
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 05:03 PM

California has worse Covid numbers in every category than all but a handful of COUNTRIES. Los Angeles County has just closed outdoor dining at all restaurants for a couple of weeks, so we're back to take-out only. Bars have been closed for months.

A curfew gives law enforcement the authority to disperse groups, gatherings, house parties, etc. The City of L.A. has also given law enforcement the authority to cut the power to residences (usually AirBnB) where no-gathering regulations are being violated.
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 07:01 AM

I live close to SFO, and our main shopping street (Burlingame Ave) has dozens of outdoor dining areas for the many restaurants. As daylight savings ended and it got colder, these outdoor dining places became encased in plastic or wood, with a roof - which pretty much made them into an enclosed dining area - just like inside dining. Of course, the only people wearing masks are the servers. It is not surprising that the Covid rate has increased. We only do carry-out from some of these restaurants.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 05:37 PM

Pasadena is defying the L.A. County ban on restaurant patio dining. It is one of three cities in the County that has its own health department (Long Beach, Vernon are the other two), and it says it will watch its daily numbers and react accordingly. Unless they plan to build a high wall or a wide moat, there will likely be a huge spike in visitors/diners who will bring the virus with them.
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 05:09 PM

"As daylight savings ended and it got colder, these outdoor dining places became encased in plastic or wood, with a roof - which pretty much made them into an enclosed dining area "

VERY CLEVER

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information