Reload this Page >

New England, - Canada

Search

New England, - Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Jason

New England, - Canada

My wife and I are attending a wedding in Middlebury, VT on August 3, 2002 and thought we would go up a week early to explore. If we flew into Portland, Me. on July 27, would we have time to drive around Maine and some of Atlantic Canada in time to get to Vermont on August 2? Not sure there is any reason to go into Canada on this trip except we love the value. Any recommendations are appreciated. We love hiking and absorbing local flavor. Nothing too touristy or upscale please. Thanks.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Sandra

Jason - I'd recommend going from Portland to Bar Harbor to Acadia National Park. Wonderful hiking and beautiful scenery, nice biking on carriage paths, great kayaking and lots of places to stay. If you like low key - we like the Bay Colony cottages on Salisbury Cove about 2 miles outside the park. Cute cottages, basic and clean on a picturesque little cove. You can take the Cat ferry from Bar Harbor to Novia Scotia - it's a high speed catamaran ferry. In NS take the lighthouse route to Halifax and then on back to Vermont. Not sure the mileage but I know Portland to Bar Harbor is about 175 miles. Or spend all your time in Bar Harbor and the other coastal Maine villages - Camden, Boothbay etc. and go to Vermont via the Kangamagus Highway over the White Mountains in NH - beautiful road and lots of hiking.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:29 AM
zootsi

Explore a little bit of Maine sounds good, but Atlantic Canada is a lot of driving for this time frame. Realize that east to west driving in Northern New England is very slow due to the mountains. I would do a few days on the Maine coast, a few days hiking in the White mtns of New Hampshire, and the rest of the time in Vermont. The Middlebury area is quite scenic, and you could also spend a day in Burlington. Most of Northern New England is quite untouristy, except for some of the Maine coast. I would try and locate some b&b farms in NH and VT to get a real feel for the area.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Liz

Jason, I second zootsi's plan. A week is too short to do more, and this will give you a taste of the area.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Molly

Jason,
Though I posted a different itinary last night {on the Canadian board},upon reflection I third Zooti's plan. You'll be much more relaxed than trying to do and see too much. Have fun!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Susan

You won't have adequate time to do Canada. There's lots to do in Maine - plenty to keep you busy!! You could also do a side trip to Boston (only an hour and a half from Portland). Or Portsmouth, NH. Send me an e-mail if you'd like specifics.