New clue to figure out Hotwire hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know when this feature started, but when I was booking a MSP hotel 2 days ago, I saw that Hotwire now includes Tripadvisor rating on the hotels.

This is another tool to figure out what the hotel may be, beside matching amenities on betterbidding.com.

Don't just look at the Tripadvisor rating, but also the number of reviews it's based on. The hotel I saw has ratings based on 60+ reviews, and the only one on Tripadvisor with more than 60 reviews in Bloomington, MN is the Radisson.

I went ahead and booked the room, and no surprise. I got the Radisson.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Excellent! Thanks rkkwan! I love Hotwire!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Well, knowing the hotel before booking did take out some of the fun of using HW.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM
JJ5

I worked that one myself once. I've used Hotwire occasionally. And for the longer stays I have had better luck than Priceline, but never as much savings.

I could guess by some of the location designations in some cities as well too, or the review itself (we had fun in the top floor pool etc.- then figured out which one had the pool on the top floor).

I've noticed that Hotwire's prices are really rising for the places I've searched out. Hotel lodging has all around, but not to the degree that Hotwire's have.

But it is always my second or third choice if Priceline doesn't work out.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

I also use PL much more often than HW, and HW's prices are not that good. But sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do.

For example, for this MSP bid, it's not for myself, but a cousin who absolutely needs shuttle and proximity to MSP. The PL zone is too big and includes hotels that have no shuttle or very infrequent shuttle.

The discount ends up being only about 15%. It sucks, but what can you do?
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 08:39 AM

shhhhh! Don't let Hotwire realize you figured that out, or they might take away that feature. LOL

Way to go, Sherlock!!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
yk

excellent tip. I noticed the tripadvisor rating too, but didn't do as much investigation. NOw I know.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Kal

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Also, the "boutique" factor can be included too. You know they mean something similar to hotel descriptions like a Kimpton for example. rkkwan I do hope Hotwire does not read this too ;-).
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM

I'm sure that Hotwire knows that savvy shoppers can figure out that the TripAdvisor ratings can narrow down the possibilities. You can shop packages, too, where the names of the hotels are provided, along with the ammenities. And, you can figure out the area with their maps.

And, when you click on "see hotel details", they have "Our 4-star hotel suppliers include:
Intercontinental, Hyatt, Omni, plus other top brands and quality hotels." Hint, hint...

It would make perfect sense for Hotwire to give you plenty of clues. You're more likely to book if you're fairly certain which hotel you'll get.

In all the years I've booked with Priceline and Hotwire, in the overall, I've gotten lower rates with Priceline, but nicer hotels with Hotwire.

Most of the times I've booked with Hotwire, the hotel was exactly the one research indicated it would be.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:58 AM

way to go! rkkwan. kudos.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

I agree with djkbooks. They don't mind that some of us may have already figured out the hotel.

And look at PL. Even though many of us know how to use the "free rebid", they haven't closed that loophole. Fact is that the percentage of people knowing about it and doing all the research is small. They don't care.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Jed

djk <I've gotten lower rates with Priceline, but nicer hotels with Hotwire.>

I usually choose the top* level with PL. Are HW hotels nicer?

Bob - Have you compared wotif.com with HW?
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

My experience is that PL rates their hotels 1/2 a star lower than HW. So, actually if both PL and HW list a 3* hotel, the PL one is generally better.

PL 4* = HW 4.5*
PL 3* = HW 3.5*
PL 2.5* = HW 3*
PL 2* = HW 2.5*

For example, just last month for my trip to OK and AR, I got a La Quinta for HW 2.5* and a Courtyard for PL 2.5*. Courtyard is at least 0.5* star better than a La Quinta, and would generally be considered 3* by HW.