never been to San Diego

Search

never been to San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never been to San Diego

We are planning a trip to San Diego. We are thinking of staying at housing on Miramar. How close will we be to things to do like the zoo and the historic area. thanks for your help.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Miramar is fairly close to Balboa Park where the zoo and museums are located. Exit the main gate, go south on I15 then south on Calif-163 and follow the signs.

The historic area (Old Town State Historic Park, I assume you mean) is southwest of the base. If you exit the main gate, take I-15 south to I-8 west and follow the signs. If you exit one of the south or west gates, get over to I-5 then south and follow the signs.

Either of those sets of directions will also get you downtown and to the harbor area.

Have a great time. San Diego is a wonderful place to visit.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:59 PM

I think you would be somewhat far out, but commuting is a breeze in S.D with all of the freeways. Traffic can be rough on that commute out to Miramar around rush hour. I would try to avoid those times. San Diego is a great town. The best. Have a great time.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM

The old Miramar Naval Air Station? Top Gun and all that? Now a Marine Corps base I think?

That's pretty central to the general attractions of SD, especially if you want to see the Wild Animal Park and the beaches in addition to the "historic" area (Old Town?) and the zoo. A ten or twenty mile commute to any of these, but in different directions and yet pretty easy except at the height of rush hour as diann indicated.

One of the best beaches in all California is just west of Miramar at Torrey Pines.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:25 AM

poolqueen822

If you have not done so go to www.sandiego.org and order a FREE vacation planning kit. You will find this so helpful - www.sandiego.org So much information here and coupon offers etc.

My question to you is why stay at housing on Miramar? Are you open to other choices?

Best wishes for a wonderful trip.

Sandy
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:46 AM

We stayed briefly in the Officers' housing at NAS Miramar in 1975 - pretty shabby. Now that it's a Marine air station, unless you're an O-6 or above, you might want to look elsewhere for housing.
M
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Oh Miramar isn't Miramar anymore? Gee I was home several years ago now it is a marine base? Yes the "home" of Top
Gun that is Correct. I saw the Blue Angels there a quite a few years ago.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can still se the Blue Angels at teh annual air show, now held in October. Since the Marines moved in a few years ago, they've built masses of new housing on base and upgraded everything else.

I wouldn't call it "fairly close to Balboa Park", but it's an easy drive down the freeway. It is, as someone said, easy to get almost anywhere from Miramar, but try to avoid the rush hour. Coming north on the 15 you'd be getting off the freeway before it gets really backed up, and the same for the 805 (the freeway you hit from the west gate).

Have fun in San Diego.