Search

Never been to NYC , need advise for trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never been to NYC , need advise for trip

Hello,

We are planning a trip to NYC in October. We will be staying on the Upper West side of Manhattan with 2 teenage daughters. Any ideas or tips on what to do would be appreciated. Also, what resturants are somewhat budget friendly?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:38 AM

You'll find a surprising number of budget-friendly restaurants in NYC. I like Carmine's (Italian restaurant where everything is served family-style), though it doesn't accept reservations. If you go early on a weeknight, you'll have a better chance of not waiting. Virgil's in Times Square is good for barbecue (make reservations). Ollie's Noodle Shop (Times Square and also UWS, I believe) is a decent Chinese restaurant, as is Ruby Foo's (UWS and Times Square). Dos Caminos is good for mid-priced Mexico. THese aren't exciting choices, but they are all fairly moderate in price. For myself, I'm actually very fond of the food at Carmine's and Virgil's, even though they are both touristy, the latter being a very good weekend lunch spot since it's rarely crowded.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM

And do try a dim sum place for brunch if you have a chance.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:42 AM
GoTravel

I agree with Carmine's for a family. Also high on my list and easy on the pocketbook is Becco for their three pasta nightly special.

Shopping of course for your daughters! On Fifth Avenue: A/X (Armani Exchange), Mexx, H&M, Nike to start with.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:43 AM

We took two teens and all had a great time! We used the hopon/hopoff bus tours to give us a great view of the city as well as providing us with easy transportation. Of course that was in August.

But I got theatre tickets before we left, we went to the Met, Empire State Building, Central Park, former site of the WTC, took a Circle Line cruise (shorter one was fine), saw South Street Seaport and shopped a little......all in just a couple of days. They loved Time Square at night, and just being in NYC. You will not run out of things to see and do.

Virgils BBQ was great for value and enjoyment, Joe Allens was convenient for the theatre and everyone found something they enjoyed, but even the pizza and delis are terrific in NYC.

Have a great time!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:54 AM

The upper west side is packed with restaurants that are budget friendly. Just stroll up or down broadway or amsterdam or columbus near your hotel. (You can check menupages.com if you want to get specifics - look in west 70's and 80's by cuisine and you can see reader reviews and actual menus with prices.)

This area is packed with such places because it's primarily residential and New Yorkers tend to work late and either eat out or order in (many places do more than 50% of their business by deivery) many/most nights.

Explore some of the options you may not have at home: malaysian, ethiopian, dominican, cuban/chinese - as well as all the usuals: chinese, italian, thai, indian, mexican. You'll have the choice between everything from great hot dogs (Gray's Papaya at 72 st) to several more moderate/upscale places (Ocean etc)

What to do is hard to say - since you don't give yor interests or those or the ages of your daughters.

My must dos:

Ellis Island Immigration Museum (with ferry stop at Statue of Liberty but don;t get off)

The Met

Central Park

Top of the Rock/Rock Center

At least one show (get you discounteed tickets NOW for a chance at 4 decent seats toether - go to broadwaybox.com)

Shopping (but don;t know what you're interested in probably downtown for the girls). You could try Filene's basement on 79th & Broadway and do have a look at Zabar's one block up across the street.

Check out New York Magazine and Time Out New York web sites a week or so to see anything special that's happening.

And if you're here at Halloween defininitely go see the parade in the Village - it's incredible.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I'd like to second the recommendations of both Carmines and Virgils, both are great and "budget friendly" for NYC. The Upper West Side has 3 fantastic breakfast places, the best of which, I think, is Good Enough To Eat, on Amsterdam and 83rd (be sure of address). The others are Sarabeths and Popovers, expect long lines on the weekends, but during the week you should be fine.
Any Empire Szechuan restaurant will get you great, fresh,and cheap Chinese food, they have lunch specials too.

Since its your first time in that great city, I would recommend a Broadway show, and dinner in mid-town (Virgils is in mid town). If you could get tickets to Wicked, that would be great with younger teenage girls. Also, there is TKTS, the half priced ticket booth, although the top shows will not be available, you might get nice seats for a long running show.

I would also recommend The Met Museum and/or MOMA, a stroll through Central Park, 5th Avenue from 59th street, down to the 40s, you pass everything form Saks, to Rockefeller Center, to St Pats.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM

When you go the Metropolitan Museum of Art, you could go to one of my favorites, Pastrami Queen, which is right on Lexington Ave. south of 86th Street. It's a good bet for authentic NYC pastrami sandwiches. If you pay a sharing fee, you can share a meat platter or two (more than enough for 4 people).
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Someone suggested that my husband and I eat at Carmine's. But it will just be the 2 of us. I hear the portions are HUGE. Do they allow you to share?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Suerich68

They do allow you to share, but one dish can feed 4 people. The more people you have, the more menu items you can try.

For the 2 of you, I would suggest Becco or even John's pizza on 44th St.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:13 AM
bc

Doug:
Is that new, that they don't accept reservations at Carmine's? We have always made reservations. According to the website, they will make reservations for a party of any size before 6:00 PM. After that, it must be a party of 6. Has their policy changed?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:44 AM

I’ve always made reservations for large parties there. And it really is a waste to eat there with just the two of you. You could pop in late for desert. The tiramisu is fantastic. (share it)
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Are you planning on going to the Village? You mentioned budget friendly restaurants and I went back to one of my favorites on Saturday and it’s as good as ever. It’s called Benny’s Burritos. The food is delicious and the portions are huge – you’ll need a good long walk after so it’s a perfect way to start a walking tour of the village. Our 2 meals with a few Margaritas came to about $30. Very easily accessible by train.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for all the replies. We are all very much into wanting to learn about the different cultures, we love history and art. My daughters love to shop but given the choice between shopping or learning something new, they would always pick learning something new. We are also very active,so walking a good distance is not a problem. Thank you again!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM

My understanding was that Carmine's won't accept reservations for parties under 6 people, but if they accept them early (and someone wants to eat early), I'd recommend it. The wait---though usually not so bad---can be long on busy nights and weekends.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:50 AM

You're not going to be here for Halloween by any chance are you? The Halloween Parade in the village is a lot of fun if you are.

I would second the suggestion to go to Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center. While I haven't been there myself, it's supposed to have really spectacular views, and you can make reservations, so you don't have to wait in the lines that plague the Empire State Building.

I'd also recommend citysearch.com to try and find restaurants. You can search by neighborhood and sort by price to get what you want, and they have reviews for most of the listings.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I tried yesterday to post on your question but it never made it. I'll try again.

My 16 year old daughter and I took a walking food tour of the Village through www.foodsofny.com in April. It was definitely one of the highlights of our 8 day stay. Not only do you visit the locals' favorite neighborhood restaurants but you learn the history of the village which is fascinating. Shopping in this area is also great.

My daughter loves modern art and thoroughly enjoyed MOMA and the Guggenheim. You may want to check out City Pass which covers those two museums plus the Empire State Building (which I think everyone needs to see at least once in their life but go early) plus the two hour Circle Line Harbor tour which is very good.

We didn't plan any restaurants before our trip. There are so many great ethnic neighborhood restaurants everywhere that it was very easy.

Enjoy. You will make a memory for your girls that they will never forget!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Just made reservations at Carmine's (theater district location) for my husband, our 7 month old daughter and myself. Sunday was booked. If you are in the SoHo disctrict you HAVE to go to Rice to Riches! Rice pudding is not my first choice for a desert but they have made it incredible. The design of the store is space age, even the containers and spoons are very modern. I like to grab a slice of pizza at Lombardi's then literally cross the street to Rice to Riches.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM

walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, Cezanne to Picasso exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 02:06 PM

One of my favorite cheap(er) restaurants in Manhattan is Le Zie 2000 at 7th Avenue and 20th St. They serve brunch on Sat/Sun. The prix-fixe lunch menu is around $15 for three courses. The food is outstanding--I am a world traveler who has eaten in the finest restaurants in the world. Venetian cuisine. No reservations. You can eat outside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -