Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need vacation ideas to suit 40 something couple!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:20 PM
Louise

Hi everyone

I am racking my brains trying to come up with vacation ideas that will please both myself and my adventurous husband. So far, we are spending a long weekend in Orlando in Janauary to visit Epcot and Magic Kingdom for his birthday (big baby!!) and I am also working on a 6 day trip for June 2003.

We have been to the following places within the past 5 years:

Williamsburg VA
Myrtle Beach SC
Orlando FL (Universal Studios)
Rehoboth Beach DE
Wildwood NJ
Virginia Beach VA

We already have plans to re-visit Jamaica in 2004 with family for our 10th anniversary, but I need ideas for next June.

He likes amusement parks, watersports, and beaches.

I like beaches, shopping, sightseeing.

We are trying to stay within driving distance from Philadelphia, but no more than an 8 hour drive, and that may be pushing it a bit. I was thinking about Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard, but I am still researching that.

Please help, I need all the suggestions I can get!!!!

Thanking you in advance!!!!!!!!!!

The Williams

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:26 PM
Mr. Map

You know, perhaps you should try looking beyond the East Coast. Seriously, America actually has land West of Philly. There's a huge hole in Arizona that I hear is popular and is a couple hours away from a bunch of crazed gamblers. Really, why not try a new area of the country?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:30 PM
xxx

I was also going to suggest the West Coast until I read you only wanted to drive 8 hours. You could fly to California in that amount of time. Southern California has everything you are looking for and it is beautiful. I do have to say you REALLY plan ahead. Which I guess is good. We just got back from vacation and are now trying to decide what to do for the fall.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:32 PM
x

How about the Outer Banks of North Carolina?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:30 PM
sarah

Yes, there is much of American beyond Philly!

Cleveland is our new favorite get-away for the summer, with great site-seeing, Upscale and bargain shopping and nice beaches (Lake Erie) and CEDAR POINT AMUSEMENT PARK, which kicks butt!! Do a search here and see what I mean!! Cedar Point also has one of the best beaches, too.

My guesstimate is Cleveland is about 8 hours from Philly too.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:07 PM
Marci

Seems to me that when you're over 40 and have preferences and have known each other for some years, you just might be able to figure out where you might like to go. Search the web, go to the bookstore, talk to each other. Too bad you think other people would have better ideas than you can come up with on your own between the two of you.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:34 PM
Nancy

Rather that racking your brains, you could be perusing the abundance of recommendatios on this board, this website, searching the www, visiting the weatlth of tour guides at your local bookstore, and having a look at all the travel magazines. If you have the means to go anywhere you'd like and have a good idea of your preferences, I cannot imagine why you can't figure out where, oh where, to go.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:12 PM
okay

Ok folks --- on a related note --- will someone PLEASE answer this question --

We have never stayed at Motel 6 because it seems to advertise /cater to singles and alludes to sleazy affairs etc.

If its an ok chain, i would stay there with my family to save a few bucks when all we're doing is sleeping. But i don't want my kids seeing anything inappropriate....

I am serious here...am i right or wrong? thanks

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:14 PM
oops!

SORRY FOLKS, the last post was supposed to go under the "Most Expensive Hotel Room Stayed In" thread......sorry!!!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:49 PM
Allyson

NEW ORLEANS !!!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:26 PM
Ohio Girl Too

Sarah has a good idea. Cedar Point is a great amusement park. I'd suggest staying on Put-In-Bay Island.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:45 PM
topper

topper