Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where on the Gulf Coast are there no Oil rigs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if there are any nice beaches on the coast that don't have oil rigs? We went to Corpus Christi a couple years back and between the warnings signs to not open drums that wash on shore with used medical waste and the Oil rigs, it just made me feel like I was sitting in the middle of a toxic pool.

Is there any uncommercialized areas?

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, this messages is supposed to be under "texas" and it keeps coming up in US. I change it to texas and it still comes up in US. Sorry
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:22 AM

See answers to your other post.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:02 AM

We lived in Dallas for 25 years and always went to LaJolla, CA for summer beach.
FD: lived in University City (San Diego) for 5 years in the '70's.
Cannot imagine going to the Gulf Coast in summer.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM

Mississippi, Alabama, Florida......

Beaches east of the Mississippi are the typical white sand (quartzy) beaches that most people are used to - altho you won't get the wave action of the Atlantic or Pacific. West of the Mississippi, the beaches are a little "yuckier" (personal opinion) because the currents spread the river sediments (mud and silt) to the west.

I don't know where you are from, so - nothing personal - but I hope you realize that the oil rigs you see off the Gulf Coast are a vital source of oil/gas for the US......and just as importantly.....a HUGE source of jobs for the people of south LA/TX. So while not necessarily pretty - they are a vital part of the Gulf Coast economy.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Jenny, you needed to go a little further south. South Padre Island about 120 miles south of Corpus, not North Padre off of Corpus, is the nice area. Fly into Harlingen and it's about a 45 minute drive from there. The beaches are lovely. Mostly clean except during peak Mexican holidays and during Spring Break. If there is a oil leak somewhere off of Louisian or a ship damaged there could be some oil washing up, but its been many years since that has happened. Very hot during the summer days but at night even during the summer it is very pleasant.
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Go to the Alabama Coast or Florida panhandle for beautiful beaches. I don't recall seeing any rigs from Gulf Shores, Fort Walton Beach, or Pensacola Beach in the last few years. I agree that while oil rigs may be important to the economy, it would be nice to have them far enough offshore that we don't need to look at them!
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I agree that the oil rigs are not necessarily nice to look at - but they're located where the oil/gas deposits are. So, in many places along the Louisiana (okay, no real beachese there) and Texas coastlines, there are fields located just offshore - just as there are fields located just onshore from the beaches - hence the rigs.

On the other hand, few major/successful discoveries have been made just off the MS, AL, FL coasts, so not many rigs.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I was talking about in Texas. It was supposed to be in the Texas board and it was confusing. I am sorry about that. I am familar with the beaches in Florida,etc.

I am just wondering about Texas. Thanks!
Larry, what exactly is the name of the beach you are speaking of? I would love to look into that.

Thanks everyone!
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Sorry, this messages is supposed to be under "texas" and it keeps coming up in US. I change it to texas and it still comes up in US."

Jenny: ALL threads come up in US. There is only one forum -- United States. Clicking on any state just lets folks search for some of the threads about that state.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:42 AM

Jenny, the beaches along South Padre Island don't have a specific name. They cover the entire length of the southern part of the Island and the area is generically called South Padre. If you google South Padre Island, you can get lots of information on accommodations, restaurants, etc.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Following up on the previous message. You access South Padre Island from Port Isabel, Texas. SPI is about 40 miles Southeast of Harlingen and about 25 miles north of Brownsville at the very southern tip of Texas.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JanisJ. I thought I was messing up and it was going in the US gategory only

drf and Larry, thanks for the additional info. Now I know what to look for. I apreiate your help.
Thanks!

Old May 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Jenny,

None of the Florida Panhandle has oil rigs - yet. (Don't get me started on this topic.) And there are beaches that range from wall-to-wall condos to almost no development and everything in between. Do a search here on Fodor's for starters and you'll come up with lots of suggestions then can narrow it down for specific areas/questions.

Fran