Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need Thanksgiving Trip Ideas for Family of Four/We're in Fla.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:14 AM
AAF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have no extended family and Thanksgiving can be a difficult time.Last year we went on a cruise and it was a lot of fun. I would like to do something different this year. It can't be excessively expensive, but I would like it to be nice. My children are older... 17 and 20. I thought about Las Vegas, but would like some other ideas as well.
Thank you.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:46 AM
OO

Our "kids" are grown and scattered, but with no kids of their own yet. For the past 7 or so years we've taken hiking trips in the AZ//UT area. One of them lives in Phoenix and we'll either fly there (from Tampa) if we are hiking in the Grand Canyon and Sedona, or into Las Vegas if we are hiking Bryce and Zion Canyons in Utah. Of course the latter includes a night or two in Vegas as well.

In the Grand Canyon and Zion we stay in park lodging so Thanksgiving is done at a restaurant. We've also stayed in condos in Sedona and Flagstaff where I'll make Thanksgiving dinner...non-traditional. We'll have ham and sweet potatoes rather than turkey and dressing, but I make 3 of the traditional dishes I always made for our Thanksgiving dinners at home as the kids were growing up: "my own" cranberry sauce, a fruit salad, and a pea dish, all of which we only had a Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Normally we'll spend most of Thanksgiving Day hiking as meal preparation is nothing with those simple items. Weather in that area is perfect that time of year. We have never had more than sprinkle and it is very pleasantly brisk and sunny--a couple of times we had a dusting of snow overnight which was a treat for us Floridians and is just the sort of weather Thanksgiving "should" be, in my mind (I'm a native New Englander). Thanksgiving should not be beach weather! This has become as traditional as our "old" Thanksgivings, but so much more fun!
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:53 AM

We've spent many Thanksgivings in Chicago. We've had wonderful T-Day dinners in great restaurants. It's great not having to clean up. The Magnificent Mile is beautiful with holdiay lights. There is a parade on T-Day in the Loop area. Several of the fine musuems are actually open on T-Day. The only complication we find is a huge medical convention that meets there every year starting Sat or Sun after T-Day. The hotel rates for that Sat night sky rocket. We would usually leave on Saturday to avoid the traffic on Sunday, as well as the hotel rates. We have always found terric hotel rates for our trips there and there are quite a few suite hotels in the Mag Mile/Loop area which are great for families. Hope this helps.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:57 AM

How about NYC for Thanksgiving? It's just a quick flight up from Florida and there's lots to do here during Thanksgiving weekend. Obviously the parade which is quite a treat. You and your kids will love it here!! Another idea would be New Orleans. I did NO last Thanksgiving weekend - fun town, lots to do, eat and see. Also good weather since it's after the real hot season. Should also be a quick flight from Florida. Good luck...
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:37 AM
GoTravel

Another vote for NYC.

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Here's something different: The High Hampton Inn in Cashiers, NC, is hosting its annual Thanksgiving Houseparty Wednesday, November 23 - Sunday, November 27. The inn is in the mountains near Asheville, and activities include golf scrambles, daily tennis clinics for all ages, guided hikes, an historic walking tour, clogging by the World Champion Southern Appalachian Cloggers, and holiday craft workshops for all ages. Rates are based on a four-day minimum and include lodging, all meals, events, greens fees, tennis fees, boat fees, and children's activities. No tipping allowed. Shorter stays carry a higher daily rate. Two, three, and four bedroom Colony Homes are also available for rent during the Thanksgiving holidays. Check them out at www.highhamptoninn.com
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM

I'm reminded of the Thanksgiving specials that are always hosted at the Glen-Ella Springs Inn near Clarksville, north Georgia. It's an old, cozy country inn that is truly out in the country, with rocking-chair porches and pretty large guest rooms. They have a gourmet restaurant and always feature some special activities during special holidays such as Thanksgiving. Since you are surrounded by woods and country gravel roads, you can take off and hike in just about any direction to your heart's content. It's operated by a wonderful couple who really enjoy meeting and mingling with their guests. Their website is (if memory serves me) www.glenella.com. Their email address is [email protected]. I think you would really enjoy this kind of visit if you want a country vacation. If you prefer places like NYC, this isn't for you. Good luck.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Our Chicago Thanksgiving trips came about when we tried to plan a NYC Thanksgiving trip and found out the hotels are out of sight at Thanksgiving time in NYC.

New Orleans sounds like a fantastic idea.

Toronto or any other Canadian city might be fun too-its not thanksgiving there so everything is open, and you dont have to deal with Thanksgiving traffic.
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:15 PM

I was thinking Biloxi and New Orleans.

Keith