Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for Grand Canyon!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 03:30 PM
Lonny

I am going to the Grand Canyon for a couple of days. What are the highlights? What would be best to see in only two days?

Thanks!!

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 03:16 AM
Paul Rabe

First day -- view the Canyon from as many overlooks and as many times of day as possible. Check out the museums to understand the history and geology of the Canyon. If the evening is moonlit, get a look of the Canyon that way.

Second day -- watch the Canyon at dawn, before the crowds. Then walk down the Bright Angel until you START to get tired, sore, or thirsty -- the walk up will be three times worse than the walk down. Check out www.kaibab.org/bc/heatkill.htm for info you MUST know about hiking there.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 11:39 AM
pam

Do you have hotel reservations? Paul's suggestions are good.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 02:02 PM
Paul Rabe

Thank you Paul. Your ideas sound good.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 02:07 PM
Pam

Yes Pam, I do have reservations. I understand they are normally hard to come by but I'm not going until October.
Thanks.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:43 PM
Polly

Take one of the late evening tours toward the west to watch the sunset over the canyon. And see the Imax movie just south of the park entrance.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 01:29 AM
rob

hiking and driving to the different lookout points......thats about all we did. take note of any warnings about the hiking....it is very strenuous no matter how they rate the trails. i'm in pretty good shape and i almost died.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 04:11 PM
David Stanley

Check out http://www.arizonahandbook.com.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 02:40 PM
Polly

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the tip about the sunset tours. That sounds excellent.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 02:43 PM
Rob

Thanks for the tip about the hiking. I'll try to survive without calling 911.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 02:44 PM
David

Thanks for the website.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 09:00 AM
lisa

If you go to the National Park Service website, they have very detailed information about all of the national parks, including the Grand Canyon. Try www.nps.gov

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Allan

If you are there on a moonlit night, plan on spending several hours walking along the rim of the Canyon. It is an unforgettable experience. Watch out for deer - they graze near the walkways at night.