Notices

WDW in October..Suites outside

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 06:42 PM
mo

WDW in October..Suites outside

I have read numerous arguments for staying onsite but they are full for our last-minute trip in early October. I have reservations at the new Holiday Inn Family Suites in LBV off International drive (east side of I4) for $103 for a 2Bd Kidsuite. It just opened last July. We have kids (4,8,10) and would like a suite and the extra room. I haven't been WDW in over 15 years so I planning this trip blind. I am really paranoid that we will end up in something less than perfect and unclean. Any other suite choices? I may try to get an on-site spot at the last minute but I am having trouble believing it would better than a suite off-site. Is on-site really all it is cracked up to be. Any comments or alternative trys.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 04:18 AM
ilisa

Can't give you any recommendations for off-site lodging, since I absolutely won't stay off-site. I personally think that staying on-site is all that it is cracked up to be, especially if you have children. The convenience can't be beat. If you have kids, you surely will need to go back to your hotel at some point during the day for pool time, relaxation, etc. Staying on-site allows you to do that easily without the hassle of retrieving your car, and dealing with the parking issues. Also be advised that if you are at the park on a particularly crowded day, the park may close if it reaches capacity. Off-site guests will be refused entry, but on-site guests will not. While October normally is a low-crowd time, this October promises to see an unusual amount of crowd for this time of year (note that there are no rooms available at Disney). I also like the benefits of early entry and e-nights for on-site guests.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 09:26 AM
BYOUNG

I have stayed on-site and off-site each year for the last several years. The only advantage for on-site is the transportation. The best bet for off-site is the Doubletree Suites at Disney Village. There are a lot of nice hotels at Disney Village. They vary in price range. None will be close to the 103, especially for a suite. They do however, provide good bus transportation and you can walk to Disney Village. E-mail me if you have any questions. There are some Disney benefits by stating in the village.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 12:45 PM
jm

We have stayed on and off property during our 8 visits over the past 15 years. Being on property does feel somewhat more "inclusive", and it has been convenient from the safety aspect when are kids at 12 & 13 were allowed to spend a few hours "on their own" using WDW transportation. That being said, your kids are obviously too young for that, and if you have your own car, which I recommend absolutely no matter where you stay, on or off, it doesn't make much difference as long as you don't have a half hour ride to WDW.

Check the Holiday Inn website for possible pictures of the property, and get a copy of the AAA Florida tour book for their rating as well.

As for the "perk" of being allowed in when the park reaches capacity -- believe me, they do you no favour by allowing you in when the park is that ctowded! You'll want to run the other way! That means the place is literally shoulder to shoulder! We were once there when it was very crowded and still not at "capacity". Let me tell you, that when the fireworks were over it was truly terrifying how the packed crowds tried to exit up main street! It was like a mob scene!

To the best of my knowledge the only time the park ever closes due to capacity is during major holidays - xmas, etc., and anyone with any sense of self preservation would never go at that time. If standing in 3 hour lines for rides and 1 hour lines for food is your thing then OK.

In closing - you should be fine where you are, but if you still want to stay on Disney property, keep calling as they get closer. The cheaper rooms, however at the allstar, etc., are too small for your family of 5.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 06:40 AM
Louise

We are going to WDW first time in November. Now, I've never been to WDW AT ALL, not even as a kid, so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, but we are staying offsite. I fought with myself over and over again about the onsite/offsite issue and finally decided that onsite was so incredibly expensive, and they give you practically nothing for the money. We will stay at the Buena Vista Suites. Hopefully it measures up to the pictures. Two room suite with 2 TV's, kitchenette, microwave, fridge, and FREE FULL BREAKFAST every morning. There are four of us going, me, my two kids and my brother. Now, my brother and I are not going to share a bed, and neither is he going to share a bed with my two girls (9 and 10). We tried to get one room with an extra cot at Disney. NO WAY, THEY DO NOT HAVE COTS. You need an extra bed? Book another room! NO WAY! You want a fridge? It costs extra, and there's no guarantee any will be available! You want breakfast? Be prepared to spend $25 for four people. Want a microwave? NO. All you get is a place to sleep and transportation. I'll take my chances on the BV Suites shuttle bus into the parks. Let me know how you make out off-site!

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 09:21 AM
Paula

We have been to WDW many times - and the last time stayed at the Caribe Royale - all suite hotel - almost new - and very very nice - free buffet breakfast - I think we paid around 169. a nite.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 12:35 PM
Louise

Paula: Thanks for your note. I think Caribe is the wealthier cousin of the Buena Vista Suites (web sites and floor plans make me think they are related). Glad to hear Caribe was nice. Hoping the same for BV Suites!

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 02:15 PM
anna

Louise, we stayed at the BV Suites a few years ago when they first opened and we loved it. Food was excellent. Don't worry about not staying inside the park. We never have either. The crowds are very reasonable in November so you don't need that extra hour in the AM that insiders get. We stuffed the kids at breakfast at the BV Suites, then had a late lunch in the park to miss the crowds, then an ice cream snack or out-of-park fast food on the way to the hotel at night. Saved us money on that expensive food in the park.

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 05:27 PM
annemarie

The next best thing to staying onsite, I feel, is to be in Lake Buena Vista but you must be careful because this can be rather far reaching(distance wise) Why don't you look into the Embassy Suites right near the Crossroads Shopping Center outside of the Disney Village. You have a whole shopping plaza at your disposal with MacDonalds, TGIF, grocery store, etc., easy access to the Disney parks and very close to the Disney Village shopping center. We like to use Embassy Suites as they have the complete breakfast in the morning, snacks and drinks at supper time , 2 rooms and 2 tvs, the mini kitchen. This year's Unofficial Guide gives it an A rating. If you can dash to a book store and grab this book just to give it a glance, you may be able to check over some of the other suite properties as well. The Lake Buena Vista also has a Country Inn and Suites close to this Crossroads area and I believe a Residence Inn, Homewood Suites. I found the Caribe and Buena Vista Suites to be a little more removed. Give Embassy in LBV a try... 1 800 EMBASSY

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 05:46 PM
Joy in Virginia

We just went to WDW the week prior to Labor Day, spent 2 nights at All-Star Music at special rate of $62 per night, then went to time-share we own off Poinciana- The Oaks at Clarion Resort World. very central location, but with the interstate you can get anywhere in orlando fairly quickly. I liked being on-site to do early entry for Magic Kingdom one day, but also enjoy staying off-site & you can time your arrival for opening time as well. It is nice to "escape" WDW and rest awhile. Check out Deb Wills Unofficial Guide to WDW at www.wdwig.com for lots of info to help you enjoy your trip the most!

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 05:54 PM
Joy in Virginia

Your hotel sounds great. One more thing - your kids will LOVE Sea World, they often offer free 2nd day admission if you validate your ticket at Guest Service on entry to the park. And you will be close to the Belz Outlet Malls at the end of International Drive. Character Warehouse & Premiere Character stores there offer discount/off-season WDW park merchandise. Also the 8 & 10 kids will definitely enjoy Disney Quest at Downtown Disney WestSide, my kids 5 & 12 loved it, we spend afternoon & evening there. DON'T GO to Disney Quest on a Friday or Sat however, too crowded. Universal's Islands of Adventure is doable in a day too & great fun. Have a GREAT TRIP! I love Orlando & WDW!

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 05:50 PM
Teresa

There is also a place offsite on International Drive that I've stayed at called the Enclave. They have 2 bedroom suites. One room has a double bed and the other has two single beds. Each room has it's own full bath. Also has a kitchen and couch in the living room pulls out into a sleeper. One indoor pool and two outdoor pools. I don't recall how much the rooms are but when I was there I thought they were reasonable.

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 09:07 AM
JoAnn

We stayed on Disney property in Fort Widerness. They have actual little homes with full kitchens and plenty of room for a family your size. I think they're simply called wilderness homes. I would check it out if I were you. They were very reasonably priced. I think we paid 99.00 a night a few years ago and you still get the disney amenities like shuttle buses to the park. There are also shows in the park and a petting zoo and pony rides..all a big hit with our kids.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 06:58 AM
Scott K

Be AWARE!!
WDW can and does close its gates to those outside the property if they get full. Make alternate plans in case this happens.(Sea World, NASA, Cypress Gardens etc.)

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 05:02 PM
dbay

A few years ago we stayed at the Summerfield Suites also in Lake Buena Vista right down the road from the Crossroads Shopping Center. It was perfect for a family of 5 with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, and breakfast for all. I guess I'm one of those people who thinks that you can't possibly get a suite arrangement as described above onsite for any where near the price. We paid $99. a night. I'm sure at the beach club suites(?) on the property you'd probably pay close to $250. a night. When traveling for more than a weekend with a family a suite is the only way to go.