Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for early November in New York State

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Susan

Have a 4 day weekend in early November, and wonder if you can suggest any spots to visit at time. Like to hike and walk. Would Finger Lakes be good?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:55 AM
ttt

Is NY state just too bleak in November?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:43 AM
jill

Early November can still be nice upstate, although most of the leaves may be on the ground. It will be pretty chilly, frost at night, but it is such a pretty area, you might enjoy it.
If there is a location a little more South, you might find it more comfortable to be out hiking and walking.
Look into Columbia/Dutchess counties, about 2 hours from NYC and full of lovely things to do outdoors and in!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Ben

Agree with Jill. From Albany north, November can be pretty bleak. South of here in the Catskills and the Hudson Valley, you'll still find color on the trees and lots of outdoor activities in pleasant weather.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Joe

I went to school in upstate NY at Cornell University, which is in the finger lakes by Lake Cayuga. I am not exaggerating when I say that we usually got our first snow by early November. I remember when I was a freshman that it snowed on Halloween. That being said, if you like cold, crisp weather, upstate NY is perfect and beautiful. By November, however, most of the leaves will be gone.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Susan

Thanks for the ideas. Any suggestions of particular towns or areas that might be fun?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:22 PM
B.G.

Don't forget to bring your deer and bear hunting equipment. This is prime hunting season so you should be able to bag a few for the home folks.