Search

Need some subway information, please

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2018, 09:36 PM
Les
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some subway information, please

I'm a native New Yorker (although I left many years ago). I used to ride the subways all the time (for work, fun), and I knew the subway system like the back of my hand. Some time after I left the city (1962), someone came up with the bright idea of changing the names of the subway lines to numbers (you know, the same way that they screwed up the L.A. freeway system), forcing me to re-learn the system every time I come to visit.

I still love to ride the subways when I'm in town, but my situation has changed. My wife (a native Californian) also loves N.Y., but has difficulty climbing stairs (she's OK going down, but not up). This has curtailed our use of the subway significantly, since FUNCTIONING elevators and escalators from the subway platforms to street level are few and far between.

What I'm looking for is a map or list of stations have these (that go all the way up to street level), so that we can enjoy riding the subways again.

Any help would be welcome.
Old May 4th, 2018, 01:06 AM

The subway system is not conducive to those with mobility issues. As have you have noted, there are few stations that have an escalator or elevator from the street level down to the platform. That requires two separate functions as you must enter the subway. Additionally, there is no guarantee that even there is an escalator or elevator that it will working properly.

Here is a subway map. If you go an individual line, it will indicate where there is either an escalator or elevator.

mta.info | MTA Subway Map
Old May 4th, 2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Les
I'm a native New Yorker (although I left many years ago). I used to ride the subways all the time (for work, fun), and I knew the subway system like the back of my hand. Some time after I left the city (1962), someone came up with the bright idea of changing the names of the subway lines to numbers (you know, the same way that they screwed up the L.A. freeway system), forcing me to re-learn the system every time I come to visit.

I still love to ride the subways when I'm in town, but my situation has changed. My wife (a native Californian) also loves N.Y., but has difficulty climbing stairs (she's OK going down, but not up). This has curtailed our use of the subway significantly, since FUNCTIONING elevators and escalators from the subway platforms to street level are few and far between.

What I'm looking for is a map or list of stations have these (that go all the way up to street level), so that we can enjoy riding the subways again.

Any help would be welcome.
There only about 100 stations that have elevators and probably about the same that have escalators (or both).

If you download the subway map you will see that the stations that have elevators are indicated by a block person in a wheelchair symbol (this map can be downloaded to a smartphone if you have internet access. Go to MTA Subway, Bus, Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North then select 'Maps' and then 'subway system'. In those stations with elevators there will be 2 elevators: one between street and the turnstile area. Then one between the turnstile area and the platform.

One thing to be aware of though - many times a particular elevator may be out of service. There is a selection on the MTA webpage to check on elevator/escalator status.
Old May 4th, 2018, 10:21 AM

Supplemental information:

There is a list of accessible stations (took a while to find it) mta.info | Accessibility . On the MTA home page the word "Accessibility' is in small letters at the very top. If the link at the left doesn't work then go to the MTA home page, select accessibility and then on 'Accessible stations'
Old May 4th, 2018, 10:43 AM

I’m in NYC now and due to some recent back surgery, stairs are really difficult for me. So the other day I carefully plotted how to get from point A to point B with a minimum of stairs. I transferred between 2 lines where I thought it would be easy, only to find that I had to go up stairs then down stairs to make the transfer. I arrived at my final stop (the E at 50th street) which I had deliberately circled around to come in from the northeast as I knew the northbound exit requires two sets of stairs but the southbound has escalators. When I arrived — uhoh, escalator was broken. I climbed the first set of stairs and wouldn’t you know it the second escalator was closed as well. The bottom line is if stairs are a real issue, take a taxi or Uber. Even when stations have elevators or escalators MANY of them are constantly out of service.
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:00 AM

"The bottom line is if stairs are a real issue, take a taxi or Uber."

Endorsed. Do not rely on the NYC subway's "accessibility" mechanics to function properly. And if those alternative transport modes are too expensive, take buses - they're slow and they suck, but they're friendly for people with mobility limitations.
Old May 4th, 2018, 10:07 PM
Les
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I'm working my way through the links, but so far I've only seen a list of non-working elevators and escalators, and when they might be fixed. Nothing yet that shows the location of all of them, working or not.

Just a comment, Russ: While buses are slow, whether they suck or not is in the eyes of the beholder. My wife loves looking at the city streets that I've walked hundreds of times as a child, while I just love riding the subway.
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:05 PM

Not only are escalators rare, full train service at the weekend also seems to be. Now I visit NY couple of times a year, it is noticeable how many lines are not operating due to maintenance.
Old May 5th, 2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Les
Thanks for all the info. I'm working my way through the links, but so far I've only seen a list of non-working elevators and escalators, and when they might be fixed. Nothing yet that shows the location of all of them, working or not.

Just a comment, Russ: While buses are slow, whether they suck or not is in the eyes of the beholder. My wife loves looking at the city streets that I've walked hundreds of times as a child, while I just love riding the subway.
Les,

There isn't a list available of the locations of escalators in the subway (at least not available to the public). I will check with some of my contacts to see if there is a list somewhere.

Also I found out that there is a printed list of accessible (meaning elevators stations available at each booth). Each printed subway map also has this list. Printed subway maps are available at the booths as well.

Last edited by nycguy10002; May 5th, 2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: adding information
Old May 5th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Les
Original Poster

nycguy, thanks for both of your posts. The list of accessible stations is very helpful, and together with the list of non-working elevators, that should enable me to plan our subway routes. A bit clumsy, but at least the information is there.
Old May 7th, 2018, 04:31 AM

I was back in the city on Saturday. Again I carefully plotted to get to TKTS, my show (The Band,sVisit) and a Starbucks right there. I chose Dos Caminos for lunch right there because it was Cinque de Mayo and close. I gloated at my ingenuity and that after the show I’d be so close to the N-R-Q back to my Path train. So I get to the downtown N-R-Q, go down the stairs and find the turnstiles closed off with a sign “downtown trains will not stop at this station on weekends”. Who knew? So I had to walk to the next station through a jammed Times Square. And by the way not all those escalator or elevators out of service will be on any list. Sometime they are just temporarily closed with no notice.
Old May 7th, 2018, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Les
nycguy, thanks for both of your posts. The list of accessible stations is very helpful, and together with the list of non-working elevators, that should enable me to plan our subway routes. A bit clumsy, but at least the information is there.
Les, you're welcome.

I was advised that there is a list but it is included in MTA quarterly reports for their own use. Someone also tried to do a manual list for me as well but it is incomplete.

It is just as well because the various escalators in the system run a range of what service is provided. You have some where you can go from street to mezzanine and then from mezzanine to platform. Some are street to mezzanine but then you have to use stairs to get to the platform. Others are between mezzanine and platform but only go in one direction (usually up).

I am sure ytou will be able to work your way through the system during your travel on the subway.
Old May 7th, 2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by NeoPatrick
I was back in the city on Saturday. Again I carefully plotted to get to TKTS, my show (The Band,sVisit) and a Starbucks right there. I chose Dos Caminos for lunch right there because it was Cinque de Mayo and close. I gloated at my ingenuity and that after the show I’d be so close to the N-R-Q back to my Path train. So I get to the downtown N-R-Q, go down the stairs and find the turnstiles closed off with a sign “downtown trains will not stop at this station on weekends”. Who knew? So I had to walk to the next station through a jammed Times Square. And by the way not all those escalator or elevators out of service will be on any list. Sometime they are just temporarily closed with no notice.
Neo, nice to see you back posting on the NY forum (and nice to have you back in the city).

You have to remember (and this is for everyone) that the MTA does a lot of construction/repairs on weekends. As a result nothing is normal. The MTA does have a "Planned Service Changes" section n their web site NYCT - Service Advisory (change the date on that page as applicable) but then who has the time to always check the web. Generally they will have a sign at the station entrance if the station itself is closed and no trains are stopping there but there are times where someone doesn't put the sign up or someone tears them down (or it falls off). In each station near the turnstiles there will be large posters showing what work is being done during the week and on weekends,