Need some N. California honeymoon help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the forums! We are planning on doing our honeymoon in N California in Sept. We arrive late on Sept 10, and fly home very late 11:00pm on Sept 21. So all in all we have 10 days to fill and I haven't made any reservations anywhere.

Can you guys help us with a good itinerary? We are hoping to do SF, Napa/Sonoma area, and Yosemite. Would like to squeeze in Big Sur/ Monterey area as well if possible.

Shoot Fodor's! Were open to ideas. Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM

Let's start with your interests and your budget. Also your travel style. Are you go-go-go or more of the relaxed type? Those will help people give you better suggestions.

One thing that I pretty much always ask when people put together a CA itinerary and are including Napa/Sonoma - are Napa and Sonoma places you want to visit specifically or are you interested in visiting some wineries during your trip. A lot of people don't realize that "wine country" isn't the only wine growing region in CA - there are wineries in the Monterey/Carmel area, Santa Cruz mountains, Sierra Foothills, and beyond. Napa and Sonoma are great and definitely worth a visit, no doubt about that, but there are a lot of places to visit wineries in CA.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 07:51 AM

From SF could head over to Yosemite and either rent a cabin for a few days just outside the park in Mariposa (check out VRBO and rent direct from the owner) or you could rent a cabin inside the park. You could try to get in at the Ahwanee Hotel or, my preference, at the charming Wawona Hotel towards the south end of the park. There are other lodging options inside the park to consider. Either way, I recommend booking as soon as you can. From there you could head over to the Monterey Peninsula to visit Monterey and Carmel. From the south entrance of the park you are probably looking at 2.5 to 3 hours to Monterey. Not sure of your budget, but I can give some ideas of where to stay. September is a great time of year to visit Monterey as you typically will have warmer weather and there is less chance of fog along coast. After visiting Monterey, it will take about 2 hours to drive back to SF.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Here's what I would do with your interests.

SF -3 nights since your first night is a late one. This will give you 2 full days in the city. Then after your 3rd night the next morning rent a car and drive to Sonoma for 2 nights. After the 2nd night leave early for Yosemite, spend 2 nights in Yosemite and leave late on your getaway day.
Then off to Cambria for the night. Then get up do Hearst Castle if you wish and start driving up Highway 1. Can you stay in Big Sur? If so, do that and then stay in Carmel or Monterey for a night or two.
You may have leftover nights from this itinerary so add nights where you want to spend more time.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM

First of all, congratulations on your wedding!

You are visiting one of my favorite places in the U.S.: Northern California, a place I considered for our honeymoon 29 years ago. May I recommend that, for a honeymoon, you try to see a LITTLE less than your listed itinerary? I am most definitely one who engages in "If it's Tuesday, this must be San Francisco" type travel -- but I do NOT recommend doing so on a honeymoon! This is a trip where you slow down and adjust to the fact that you are now married. Hectic travel is the LAST thing you want at this time.

May I instead suggest five to six days within San Francisco, and the rest of the time at ONE other place -- Napa or Monterey or the Sierras (not necessarily Yosemite)? That would mean only a half day of traveling each way, which would seriously reduce stress at a time you SHOULD be reducing stress. Then, on your 20th Anniversary, you can go back and do the "Okay, two hours to see Yosemite Valley -- let's get some photos!" type trip.

Of course, if you two find hectic travel a romantic turn-on, then just ignore what I just said.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 10:32 AM

"Of course, if you two find hectic travel a romantic turn-on, then just ignore what I just said."

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Don't know your budget, but if you want lodging and good eats in the wine country, head forthe Healdsburg area.
The Farmhouse Inn just outside of Forrestville has great rooms and a top notch restaruant, but is not cheap.
In Healdsburg the Grape Leaf Inn is an outstanding B&B.
For eats, Dry Creek Kitchen and Cyrus are great. Personal favorite is "Zin" one of the best casual restaurants/wine bars around.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Monterey is only 2 hours from San Francisco and has some great surrounding towns to visit. I highly recommend Carmel (quaint downtown area, nice beach, & 17 Mile Drive), and Pacific Grove has some great B & Bs. Point Lobos is a beautiful spot for easy walks/hikes.
The Ahwahnee Hotel is great in Yosemite; however, there are cheaper options outside the park - such as Tenaya Lodge. The only issue with late summer trips to Yosemite is that the magnificent waterfalls are usually "dried up."
Good luck! Have a fabulous time!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Two or 3 nights in several locations is hardly stressful or hectic.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM

I disagree with paulrabe, with all the places to see in Nor Cal why spend 6 days in SF. Napa/Sonoma only 1 hour north of SF and Monterey/Carmel only 2 hours south. Very easy to do. I would spend a couple of days each place. Yosemite you must have reservations before heading up there.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Well I bit the bullet and switched flights. Gone arrive late in SF on sept 10 and fly out of Reno on sept 22. Thinking something like this:

11-12-13 in SF

14-15 napa/Sonoma

16-17-18-19-20 Yosemite to mono lake area

21 - lake Tahoe

22- home
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 07:45 PM

While in Yosemite, eat at the Awahanee. Such a unique place,breakfast is cheaper and no dress code.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM

We live in Napa Valley and it's beautiful here. But I'm going to recommend a fabulous place for a honeymoon in Kenwood in Sonoma Valley : the Kenwood Inn and Spa. http://www.kenwoodinn.com/index.php
It is beautiful and private and incredibly romantic. The atmosphere is very special. The restaurant is fantastic; they prepare food only for their guests. The service is friendly, comfortable and impeccable. You might not want to leave the grounds, but if you do, you have easy access to both Sonoma Valley and Napa Valley.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

elnap29, this for the rec, that place looks fabulous!! Now on to Yosemite, the place is booked for when we want to go, at least according to the website. Where to stay? I found a couple possibilities. Tenaya resort at fish camp, Evergreen lodge near Hetch Hetchy, or a B&B half way between Tenaya and the Valley Called High Sierra.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 07:24 AM

I do agree it would be helpful to know a bit more about your interests and travel style and goals for this honeymoon.

Are you firmly attached to seeing Yosemite & Mono Lake on this trip? Both areas are spectacular but the popularity makes them more challenging for planning. If so, you might want to keep calling for accomodations w/in the park, as people cancel and move around as the time gets closer--if you are folks who can deal w/ some uncertainty for now.

Another alternative, if you'd be willing to skip Yosemite, would be the Carson Pass area, south of Lake Tahoe. You won't have the dramatic Yosemite Valley nor the peaks > 10,000 ft, but it's very beautiful, with peaks of 8000-9000 ft and lovely lakes--and much less crowded than Yosemite. I've never stayed there but have heard Sorenson's Restreat, in Hope Valley on Rte 88, is very enjoyable and relaxing. It would save you driving since you're heading to Lake Tahoe. But it depends on what you want.

There are many, many great day trips from SF if you don't want to move much; I don't think 5-6 days stationed there is too much for a honeymoon. Your itinerary of 3 nights there, 2 nights in Napa or Sonoma is fine too. Are you interested in urban pleasures or do you want more tips for spots close to but not in SF?

Good luck and congralations!
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Depending on your interests, I would cut back on the Yosemite/Mono Lake part and add the days to Tahoe or throw in a few days in Carmel. For our honeymoon, we spent four days in Tahoe then drove down thru Mono Lake, entering Yosemite thru Tioga Pass. Truly spectacular. If you hit Yosemite mid week, you may find more cancellations opening up.

You will love your trip and you have a nice plan. Best wishes.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yosemite is pretty difficult unless you stay in the Valley. There often are cancellations so keep trying. Phone them daily.

Fish camp to the Valley takes nearly 90 minutes each way. And the Evergreen Lodge is more than an hour out.

That 'halfway' B&B is in Yosemite West which is a MUCH better location for convenient access to Yosemite Valley and most of the rest of the park.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with Janis. Fish Camp is not on "your way" from Napa and not a handy for basing yourself.