Reload this Page >

Need recommendations for dinner for SF weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
Anne

I've gotten great recommendations here before, so I thought that I would try again. I am planning a weekend trip in a few weeks to San Francisco with friends (6 of us total). I'd like a restaurant recommendation for an upscale, fun place with great food. It should be in the SOMA district, or Union Square or North Beach. Seafood or California cuisine would be great, but not anything too 'out there' fusion or spicy wise as we have varying levels of tolerance for experimental food. Not deafening, but not quiet and too intimate since we will be a bit noisy, no doubt. We've ruled out Kuletos, Postrio, Grand Cafe, and L'Osteria Au Fourno for various reasons. We will stay in the Union Square area. We plan to go from our hotel to AsiaSF in SOMA for cocktails at 6:00pm, then dinner, somewhere then the Beach Blanket Bingo, late show, 10:00pm. Ideally we would have dinner about 7:30. We wanted some place special, like Farrallon, but they are booked for times that would work for us. Also, I've seen mixed reviews of it. I also don't want to be taking (2) taxis everywhere (from Union Square to AsiaSF, then dinner, then BBB, then back to Union Square! whew!) so we want to keep the dinner in one of the areas we will be that night. Suggestions?

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:56 PM
kam

How about Moose's. Seems about the right decibel level and is walking distance to club Fugazi, where BBB is. You then that a taxi or perhaps cable car, if you're lucky, back to Union Square. Have a great time.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:32 PM
kal

You may wish to consider "Solea" restaurant in the Orchard Hotel? A block up from Un Sq on Bush @ Powell.
Nice, intimate and you may be able to get the private room? 6 may not be enough to reserve it.

Also down about a block or so, Tiramisu, Masa's or LeCentral may fit the bill?
Kal
ps
Aloha kam!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:42 PM
Faina

Kal, by "Tiramisu" you mean cafe Tiramisu @ Belden? The worst place I've ever been to! Undercooked, overprised, you need a magnifying glass to see the food And the tiramisu cake is the worst - lots of cookies, little cheese, all soaked in rum so the taste is bitter. Outside sitting in the alley is OK, inside people are too close to each other, you feel like on Candid Camera.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
kal

faina, Yes, it was the one on Belden.
Guess we went on different nights together??

You are right on the inside seating. Since there was about 20+ of us, we were crammed in a bit.
We loved the food, though. Our pasta was excellent, given our large party and the steak was magnifico.
I split a tiramisu for desert with a friend and found out, once again, tiramsu just isn't my cuppa tea anyway.
It did not last long on the plate though!
Kal

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:23 PM
chris

Moose's or Rose Pistola in North Beach. Plouf or B44 in Belden Alley (near Union Square). Julie's Supper Club in SOMA.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:56 PM
Betsy

Try Fringale which is in the SOMA area on 4th. One of my favorites, and it seems to fit your parameters. If you want further suggestions, try www.chowhound.com.

Hiya, Kal...haven't seen you around for awhile.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:05 PM
Betsy

Kal, I just topped a post for you: Great Offer at SF Hotel. Galleria Park is offering a "pay by your birth year deal. For example, if you were born in 1952, you'd pay $52 per room (double or single) per night. Check it out. Bet they even have closets!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:34 AM
kal

Bets, Thx for the info.
This "ol' timer" appreciates it! Real closets, too! ;-)
The "Big Five Oh-my" is just right around the corner. Got my AARP card ap in the mail.
We do feel one more SF trip coming on before the end of the year. Especially since we are doing all of this restaurant talk.

I've actually had to work the past few weeks. How the heck did I let that happen?!?!
Just got back from trips to KC and New Orleans and may need to take off a few beef/gumbo lbs. before we hit the restaurant trail agian in SF/Napa/Sonoma.

As for SF restaurants, I still can't find anyone who has dined at Cobalt, the old "WashBAG". You know of anyone? The revus I've read are good, but...
Kal

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Carolyn

If you are in the North Beach area for BBB show - try the Stinking Rose (not kiding!) It is very good food & atmosphere.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Anne

Thanks for all of your great suggestions. I was able to get a reservation at Moose's, which is a new place for me. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:31 PM
kal

Anne, Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

And for Carolyn, as much as I like garlic and The Stinkin' Rose, I wouldn't like sitting next to myself at BBBingo after eating there! ;-D
Kal

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Mel

Anne: Looks like you decided on Moose's but I just had to throw out Lulu, which is in SOMA, around 4th and Howard I think. One of my favorites.

More importantly, are you sure you can go to Asia SF for drinks? Granted, it's been a couple years since I was there, but at that time, you had to have a dinner reservation for a specific seating time that corrolated with the show. Or maybe you're getting a table for the show and not eating? Just wanted to make sure you have this worked out so you're not disappointed. Have fun.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Susie

My favorite palce that my husband and i went to on our Honeymoon was Bubba Gumps on the pier. Great atmosphere and service

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Susie

My favorite place that my husband and i went to on our Honeymoon was Bubba Gumps on the pier. Great atmosphere and service