Need opinions on best deli and best pizza in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I will be going to New York City at the end of April. I recall reading a thread on delis and pizzerias a while back (could be more than a year ago) but as I wasn't planning a trip to NY at that time, I didn't write down any restaurant names. Would love to hear your opinions on your favorites.

On another subject, we are booked in the Hilton Garden Inn on West 35th St. It just opened in Feb. so feel fairly confident that it will be in good shape. However, I understand that NY has a bedbug problem. Any comments on your experiences with NY hotels would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Hi aljo.

Second Ave Deli
162 E 33rd St(near 3rd Ave. betw 3rd and Lex)
212-689-9000

Many Fodorites love Katz' on the Lower East Side.
Stay away from the Stage or Carnegie delis.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM

CentralParkgirl is dead on

My favorite pizzas are Lombardi's and Pizza Fresca. 2nd Tier-Gruppo, Luzzo's.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM

I second Lombardi's, and also enjoyed John's Pizza at their Bleecker Street location. Have yet to try Grimaldi's pizza, but intend to on my next visit to New York.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 04:35 PM

A vote for Katz. Our favorite pizza is local - and depends on what you like (we do only chopped veggie).
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Grimaldi's pizzeria in Brooklyn. Then go down the street to the Brooklyn ice Cream factory for home-made ice cream. A little walk away from there is the Jacques Torres chocolate shop....yum! Bon Apetit!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 02:52 AM

I'm hopping onto this thread because I'm looking for the same info. Two questions: Are the deli's open for dinner as well as lunch? Also, how about locations closer to Times Square for before a show? Many of the favorite (and best) places seem to be way downtown. Have been to Carnegie, John's (Times Square location) and Grimaldi's (yum!).
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:23 AM

You can start a war between 2nd ave Deli and Katz' fans. My own preference is 2nd ave Deli for its quality and larger and more varied menu. Centralparkgirl's advice is right on.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM

I've had pizza at Grimaldi's and John's and liked both very much. Barbara_m's advice to combine a jaunt to Grimaldi's with a visit to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory is spot on.

The deli advice you're getting is good. Note that of the four, 2nd Avenue Deli is kosher and the others are not, which means among other things you won't find any dairy products (no cheese on sandwiches, no cheesecake) at 2nd Ave.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Katz's is good but I prefer 2nd Avenue deli. Now for Pizza..stand back. If this is your first time to NYC, I suggest you take the boat or subway over to Brooklyn and have a pie at Grimaldi's. The, enjoy the splendor of walking back to Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge.

We're headed back to NYC this Fall. We are looking at Di Fara's in Brooklyn for pizza. I might still find my way back to Katz's for a Pastrami sandwich. Katz's,btw, is a great place to have lunch before or after touring the Tenement Museum.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great info. I'm looking forward to trying out your suggestions. Cheers!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:35 PM

And I have no idea why you think "New York has a bedbug problem". It's a problem in a handful of places (not related to the quality of the place, either) all over the country -- or world. I'd spend more time worrying that a plane will fall out of the sky on you.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM

If you get to Tribeca - and it is worth a visit - try: Bouley Upstairs (W. Broadway corner Duane)The original Boouley (across the street) is one of New York's top restaurants - and also one of the most expensive -- but at Upstairs you can enjoy top quality cuisine at a fraction of the cost at Bouley. Also in Tribeca: Odeon (a New York scene) and Pepolino - great Italian.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM

I like Angelos better than Lombardis for pizza but they are very close.

I like Katz, Second Avenue, and Sarges delis.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Lombardi's in Little Italy is the best I have found.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM

I've had pizza at Lombardi's, John's, and Grimaldi's and they are all great. I liked Grimaldi's the best.

On a recent visit to Katz's I was unimpressed, but maybe it was just me.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Interested also in this topic. Katz and 2nd Ave seem to be favorites for deli but wondering why "stay away from Carnegie"--is it the food, prices, or what?
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Yes and yes. Both Carnegie and Stage, high prices for mediocre food.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 05:03 AM

No human being could (or at least should) eat an entire sandwich from Carnegie. I often wonder what all those tourists do with the gigantic halves or more they have wrapped and take back to their hotels with them after stuffing their faces for an hour. Do they let it sit out and spoil, then eat it later if they don't have a refrigerator in their room? Does that mean they then eat a stale leftover sandwich for their next meal missing out on one of the great other selections of a place to go for a "real meal"? Wouldn't it make more sense to have two different reasonable meals that to have to eat stale leftovers from one for the other?
I just don't get it. It's all about quantity, so if that's what impresses you -- then go. Has anyone ever gone there without reporting "it was the biggest sandwich I ever saw -- there's no way you could eat the whole thing". Well then DUH, why go where you can't even eat the food? Why would that be a good thing?
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 06:06 AM

I've never been bitten by bedbugs while in NYC. Mind youI stay below 35th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -