Need New York Luxury Hotels!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This July, I am planning a trip to NYC with my son. I want to stay at two hotels while on the trip for I as well as my son like hotels. I have already decided that for the first few nights that I want to stay at the Peninsula. However, what hotel could I stay at for the remainder of the vacation. I would like to stay somewhere a little bit modern just for a change of atmosphere from that of the Peninsula, but that is not dire. I was thinking about the City Club Hotel, the Chambers, new Mandarin Oriental (although I have read some mixed reviews), or the Bryant Park Hotel. Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks!!!!!
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Neopolitan

I've stayed at the Peninsula but not the Mandarin Oriental, which is my first thought for you. Mixed reviews for the MO? I can't imagine it well exceeding the Peninsula. And what a view and location!

If you refer to the funny two almost matching nasty Californians on Trip Advisor who both said something like "I don't mind paying $2100 a night (the other one said $1200 a night) but I expect more", I'd take those with a giant grain of salt. Both ranted about the horrible service, yet nearly all the others rave about the service. I would discount those two bad reviews as being "fake", and there are a lot of those on Trip Advisor.

Old May 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Definitely do the Mandarin Oriental. I have done two meetings there with VERY high maintainance participants - and the hotel did everything I asked and more.

Some people always complain about "service" when there's nothing else to complain about - to prove how important they they are (in their own minds).
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, so would the Peninsula and Mandarin be a good combo, or will one completely overshadow the other? Thanks for the great advice, and especially about those negative reviews!
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM

City Club and Mandarin are not even remotely comparable. Read Tripadvisor.com for information on City Club. It is not horrible or anything... but I put it at a nice 3 star with a good restaurant (at least a year ago).
Peninsula is freakin awesome...!
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM

A really nice hotel and I have recommended it to friends and clients is The Palace. It is on Madison Ave, just behind St. Patricks. Beautiful and one of the nicest hotels in the city.
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Bumping up. Thanks, so it looks like the Peninsula and MO. Thanks for the tip on the City Club. I thought is was like a 4* but even if it is 4*, the Peninsula will make it look horrible. Before I make my final decision, has anyone else stayed at the MO?
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Neopolitan

Wow, has the Palace changed that much? It's been a few years for me, but although we were told to reserve and got one of the huge corner rooms, I thought the hotel was nothing special at all -- particularly with service. Le Cirque was the best thing about the property then, but alas that is even gone now.

Old May 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

bump
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Today's Washington Post travel section has a list of expensive new york hotels you should check it out to see if there are others on their list that should be on yours.
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

bump.....
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Doesn't anyone stay at the Waldorf
anymore...has it gone downhill...
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM

We stayed at the Michaelangelo and it was wonderful -- it has been a few years but the ratings on trip adviser are still great and we loved it. Great location and staff.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:07 AM

Why don't you stay in another area of town altogether from mid-town, since you are gong to move anyway? You will get to see another part of the city, try different restaurants and shops. My suggestion would be somewhere downtown near the old WTC or in the SoHo Area. For the former, consider the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park (terrific views and baths!), for the latter, I would recco 60 Thompson in a great neighborhood, and a wonderful rooftop bar open to the sky. I think you would have other choices as well, try LHW.com and slh.com for starters.

If you want to stay in mid-town, how about the Ritz-Carlton on Central Park South for great views?

ritz-carlton.com
http://www.60thompson.com