Need Myrtle Beach golf recomendations!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought a little MB golf vacation at a Charity Action last spring and need to use it or lose it. We are leaving on Nov 18th--weather? It included two rounds of golf at MBN Southcreek, West and/or Waterway Hills. You golfers out there what other courses are not to miss for my husband and son as they can play up to three more times during our stay? Also will take up to date recs for reasonable (not chains) restaurant recs--cool places (seafood) or whatever that were memorable and good. We have one dining certificate for Sea Captains House included. Thanks for your anticipated assistance. H
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:01 PM

There are many courses available.I would suggestyou play MBN west ands South.Forget Waterway.These are all the non surcharge courses and are OK but there are much better.MBN North (Palmers)course is outstanding.If you son is under 17 there are courses he can play free with his father.Tidewater is very nice as is Grande Dunes.Check the paper upon arrival and you can find many specials.If you play only 18 a day afternoon specials are available.Some nice midpricecourses are ManOWar,wizard which are on 501.Wild Wing(4) and Legends(3)are also good.There are a lot of choices available.have a great time.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
GoTravel

Sea Captains has wonderful She Crab Soup.

With the exception of The Dunes Club (which is fabulous and was home to the PGA Senior Tour Championship for years), we've only played some courses in the Pawleys Island area.

Outstanding courses: TPC, Caladonia, True Blue, the Heritage.

Good: Blackmoor, Litchfield Country Club, Pawleys Plantation.

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!! Are you suggesting giving up a free pass to one of the courses I mentioned. Not sure what or which you mean! H
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Bump
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:40 AM

I would play the south and west atMBN since they are free.The courses in the southern part that were mentioned are good choices.If you are staying north of downtown there are closer choices that are good.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Reeder,

I can only help you out with restaurant recommendations, as I am probably the only resident of Myrtle Beach who doesn't golf.

It would help to know what you consider *reasonable* Anyway, in my experience MB is really a place where you get what you pay for, with one absolute rule--avoid the buffets! So the following restaurants are a sampler of relatively fine dining (especially for seafood) in MB, IMHO:

Aspen Grille (Kings Hwy/Business 17)
Thoroughbred's (Kings Hwy/Business 17, between MB and North MB)
Rossi's (in the Galleria shopping center just before you get to Thoroughbred's)
Martini's in NMB (Hwy 17)

Further south you have a lot of restaurants in Murrells Inlet (like Sara J.'s; Flo's Place; Divine Fish House). Cricket's is also good--on Bypass 17 south of MB.

And in or near Pawley's we love Louises' (either the restaurant or the Fish Camp Bar). Have heard Frank's is great; haven't tried it yet, but a very safe bet that it's good.

Finally, I love November down here; nice little chill in the air, but very pleasant.

Have a great time.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Beachdweller:
I guess less than $20 for dinners would be my idea of reasonable.
Tjune: Our auction package has us staying at the Radisson Plaza Hotel and the old Sheraton Four Points( two nights each) so I don't know where that puts us in MB. Haven't been there in over 30 years. We will take your advice and buy a newspaper on landing looking to coupons etc. Which coupons would you suggest we avoid?
Thanks guys for all your help. H
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Just a followup on our trip last week to MB. Boys had a ball playing golf and the weather was great every day! They played three MBN courses--Southcreek, West and North. They liked them all but thought North was great! They also played Prestwick which they also liked very much and saved World Tour Course for the last day and played all 27 there.
For meals we enjoyed dinner at Sea Captains (she crab soup is to die for!), Rossis and Divine Fish House in Murrels Inlet. We ate at Landry's twice (with free appetizer coupons) which was a great deal--especially at lunch. Broadway on the Beach is great for the ladies who enjoy browsing and shopping. Also Tanger outlets are good for that too. I did a bit of that to pass the time but I much preferred being by the ocean with a good book. Any questions? Will be happy to help. I think with a little more research (than I did) you could have a great stay there for a very reasonable amount. I personally loved arriving at the airport and seeing all the golf groups of men AKA "little boys"--there in MB and excited to the nines(no pun intended) to be about to PLAY PLAY PLAY!! h
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Reeder,

glad you had a great time. I somehow missed your post dated 11/4. I am sorry I didn't respond, but it looks like you did fine!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Beach dweller! and a special thanks for all the tips from other posters prior to our trip. Thanks so much for taking the time with excellent information! H