Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need input on Ft Myers Beach accommodations:Best W, Sandpiper Gulf, Neptune Inn, Casa Playa or Edison House?

Search

Need input on Ft Myers Beach accommodations:Best W, Sandpiper Gulf, Neptune Inn, Casa Playa or Edison House?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got a family of 4 adults and 2 kids going to Ft Myers Beach for Mother's Day.

I'd like to stay out of the high rise buildings, be on the beach and have two rooms (one with kitchenette).

I'm leaning towards the North end as I think it's quieter for traffic, is that so?

I think my search is down to about 5 places. Does anyone have any input, positive or negative on these?

Edison House
830 Estero Blvd

Casa Playa Resort
510 Estero Blvd

Neptune Inn
2310 Estero Blvd

Sandpiper Gulf
5550 Estero Blvd

Best Western Beach Resort
684 Estero Blvd

Since I have to have 2 rooms for 2 nights, I'd like to keep the rooms under $199, preferably about $159.

We plan to do things like: walks on the beach, see the ECHO Farm, Edison-Ford Estates, Shell Factory, Babcock Wilderness, Lover's Key area.

Thank you
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I narrowed the search to these two:

Casa Playa or Sandpiper Gulf.

Anyone been to either?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Edison Beach House is north on the island but very close to all the activity at Time Square, etc. It is very nice and I know many who have stayed there, but I have not as I live here.

Casa Playa: This is further north and would be much quieter than Edison House. I know nothing about it but it is a highrise, although not that high.

The Shell Factory is really tacky and a hoot. A throwback to the 50's tourist attractions. Find somewhere else to eat though. Not much in North Fort Myers. Check on Babcock Wilderness. I thought the property had been sold for development and was in limbo.

Alternative would be Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary in Naples, but it would be quite a drive. Lover's Key is a lovely beach and different from the Fort Myers Beach in that is very naturalistic instead of a party scene.

Honoria
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Honoria,

Thanks so much. We are not interested in the party scene/night life, more about the family and daytime activities. I'm leaning toward the Casa Playa rooms, newly remodeled, kitchenette and with the price I can afford the 3rd night giving us another full day.

I'll look further on the Badcock and Corkscrew info. Thank you.

My childhood memories included visits to the Edison/Ford homes and now I finally get to share it with my children.

How about the Imaginarium? Any suggestions for dining?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:41 AM

I think Casa Playa will be a good choice for you. You shouldn't have too much of the Times Square noise but do make sure to take the kids to the sunset celebration there. Clowns, fire eaters, mimes (not my fave but others love them), jugglers, etc crowd the area near the pier. There are many inexpensive places to have a basic dinner, my favorite is Plaka, the greek place. Food is ok, not great but none of the places there are particularly good. The atmosphere is fun. A lot of families eat at Dairy Queen, which would save $$.

For the past two years, I worked within walking distance of the Edison-Ford house. It is a great place and has been restored since the hurricanes and termites ravaged it several years ago. Make sure to take a tour with a docent. Their anecdotes add greatly to the experience.

Have a great vacation. HG
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:51 AM

I just thought of a day trip that could be the highlight of your vacation. The Pink Shell resort is just north of Casa Playa. On its bay side it has a marina that offers a day cruise to cabbage key for lunch and return. The birds and wildlife will amaze you and your children. The water is crystal clear and you can see the fish swimming through the grassy waters. The last time I was there I watched a great heron catch a fish only to have a bald eagle steal it from him.

Dolphins will follow your boat as you go up through Pine Island Sound which is a national treasure. I would give up most day trips to take this one.

Here are some links to help you research this opportunity. If I can find out the name of the tour company I'll post it later.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/sites/pineisland/

http://www.cabbagekey.com/

HG
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM

ttt for Kristinesonja
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:44 AM

bookmarking
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

We did stay at the Casa Playa and were very pleased with a fully equipped condo.

Enjoyed a wonderful afternoon at the Edison home.

Ate some quick meals at DQ and enjoyed a beautiful beach walk at Lover's Key Park.

Great low key trip, thanks for all the info.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM

I was thrilled with Casa Playa until I read the fine print on the pet friendly issue. I would call them pet unfriendly after reading that. All kinds of red tape, not just the usual agreements. Too bad. It looked so sweet.