Need input from Mainers on my planned lobster eating and leaf peeping trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I love the east coast and New England in the fall. This year we are planning a trip that would incorporate both the coast of Maine as well as the interior of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. We will have seven days to cover this ground plus two days for flying in and out.

We plan to fly into Boston on September 30th and rent a car. The reason for flying into Boston is cost and time in the air plus arrival time from Northern California.We plan to spend October 1, 2 and 3 driving up Maine highway one all the way to Caribou. From Caribou we plan a day ( Oct. 4 )to Bangor. From Bangor we plan two days to Montpelier, VT( Oct 5 & 6). From Montpelier we plan a day ( Oct. 7 ) back to Boston across New hampshire.. This would give us three days on the coast for lobster eating and sight seeing and four days in the interior for leaf peeping. According to Yankee magazine we would be in peak foliage all of the time if the weather cooperates. Mapquest shows driving mileage at about 1,200 miles which is doable for a relaxed pace. Does this plan seem workable and also do we need to go as far north as Caribou or could we stop at Houlton and still be in peak color on 10/3 & 4.

Thanks for the help !
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Wow, I would think peak would be late this year since it's been nothing but rainy for the last six weeks.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Sorry - but there's no way to tell this early exactly when peak will be - but I think you're at least a week too early for full color based on historical data.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM

You'll probably be early (but it really is too soon to tell) however, it'll still be very pretty even if you miss the official "peak". In fact, I prefer just before peak over peak as I think the contrasting greens make the oranges, reds and yellows seem brighter by comparison.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM

no houlton or caribou. loong drive with not much but trees to look at.
drive as far north as bar harbor and spend the night there. next day drive up to baxter state park for the day or inland to greenville/moosehead lake.
stay over near baxter or return to bangor for the night. then 95 south to waterville and west to vermont on rte 2. (if you stayed in greenville you would not go all the way back to bangor, but cut west at abbot village then down rte 201 to meet rte 2 going west.
sounds like lots of driving through gorgeous places. have fun.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 01:09 AM

For northern routes, I think you've picked a good week. There will be variety depending on elevation. No problem getting lobster at regular restaurants but the shack type places with picnic table seating might only be open weekends. Five Islands, for example, is weekends only starting Sept 12 and Oct 12 is last day for the season. Like Grandmommy, I prefer pre-peak with some greens mixed in. The driving is do-able but I hope you mix in some walking or a boat or train ride. The Fryeburg Fair in Maine (near Conway NH) is Oct 4-11 FYI.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:25 AM

Agree that it is really prettiest a bit before peak when there is still some green. The swamp maples always show off before the other trees and are quite brilliant. If you get to Portland and feel like a break, take the mail boat or one of the ferries out in the bay. Lobster is most fun eaten at a shack, so do research some that will be open on your way up. Check out Two lights in Cape Elizabeth, great lobster, fantastic setting on the rocky shore.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:34 AM

I agree with Virginia in that I would only go as far as MDI and then head up to Bangor. Route 1 is long and you won't be in the mountains so color won't be a big deal, although the blueberry barrens north of Ellsworth turn a lovely shade of red in the fall. However, with only 7 days I'm not sure I would go to Moosehead or Baxter. Personally, I would head down Route 2 from 95 south of Bangor over the NH/VT. You might want reservations for the weekend and when you're in places like North Conway, NH which get crowded. (Not sure about Montpelier, isn't really a tourist town to me. Maybe stay in Stowe instead? A day trip to Burlington might be nice too, especially if the weather doesn't cooperate.)
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM

I agree about not going as far as Caribou and heading west to NH/VT instead. Many folks don't realize that Rt 1 is not on the water and csn be rather strippy and boring but does go through some cute towns in S ME. Otherwise, you have to keep getting off and heading down peninsulas to the water. Color along the coast in early Oct won't be much but could be 50% at higher elevations in white and green mts. North Conway, NH and Mt. Washington area and lakes region, NH may appeal. Then continue west to VT. I would also skip Montpelier and either go north to Stowe or south to Woodstock or both. Heading back, Stowe to Boston drive is about 4-4 1/2 hrs, Woodstock to Boston about 3 hrs. Have fun.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM

I'm also wondering about the appeal of such a long drive and going to Houlton and Caribou.

The best scenery is in the mountains and around the lakes.

Last year, October 2-3-4 there was plenty of color in northern NH and VT. Still about half green with more color in the higher elevations.

I'm also one who thinks all is prettier with some green and before too many trees are bare.

Unless you really want to save your lobster eating for last, it would be better to start on the coast, then head for foliage areas, as even a few days that time of year can make significant difference in the amount of color.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM

You will want a map or a GPS so when you get tired of the strip malls and traffic lights of route 1, you can hope onto 95 and zoom along. Pick a few places along the coast of Maine to stop and eat lobster. I agree with Virginia that heading across the interior of the states on route 2 will give you some very pretty foliage viewing. That would take you on a big loop across the north side of the white mountains. Foliage is best seen early than trying to catch the peak, which is different at different places and elevations. Then, sometime when we are at peak foliage, we get a horrendous storm that knocks all the leaves off the trees.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM

Just remember that 1200 miles on highways is not the same thing as 1200 miles on secondary New England roads. Just a thought.