Reload this Page >

need info on pittsburgh restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 1998, 06:50 PM
carol

my husband and i come to pittsburgh occasionally and enjoy trying a different restaurant each time we're there.has anyone had dinner at the tin angel?how about monteray bay-in the old christopher's or the fish market connected to the doubletree?any help will be appreciated.

Old Oct 7th, 1998, 07:06 AM
Gary

As a former Pittsburgher I can give you a little advice.
Monterrey Bay is very good. When I lived there they had early bird specials. Slightly smaller portions, nice price. Try Caya in the strip district for Carribean fare. Roland's in the strip is good for seafood. Mallorca on the south side has good Spanish. Grand Concourse has a great Sunday Brunch, make reservations. Best french fries, The O in Oakland. Best pizza, Cosmos in Murrysville (no eat in). Best pizza closer to town, Mineo's in Squirrel Hill. Try the Penn Brewery on the North Side for a great German Beer Garden (great food, too). Desserts, Gulifty's in Squirrel Hill. There's a short list. If you need more info. let me know.

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 02:58 PM
nancy

Carol, Just got back from a visit to Pittsburgh and stayed at the Doubletree Hotel. Had dinner at the Fish Market and would recommend it. Delicious. Not cheap but everything was so good. Service was good too and lovely ambiance. They even have a peppermill on each table. I have become weary of restaurants that send the wait staff around with a giant peppermill as if it's such a big deal. Petty me. If you get a chance take a tour of the University of Pittsburgh. They have a cathederal of learning with classrooms designed by various foreign countries. Georgeous!

Old Oct 19th, 1998, 03:55 PM
carol

gary and nancy,thanks so much for your suggestions.we'll definitely try them

Old Oct 21st, 1998, 10:13 AM
jeff

As a Pittsburgher, I can tell you that you got a lot of great suggestions. Here are a couple others: Monterrey Bay is the BEST restaurant in the city, alhtough the service is spotty..the food is outstanding. The Tin Angel is nice, but a bit dated and the food is mediocre but prices very high. I like it there, but would choose other restaurants first. For a casual "TGIFridays" type of meal, try the Grandview Saloon on Mt. Washington...great views and good food..lots of interesting characters. If you are here on a Saturday (or on most weekdays) you must head to the Strip District which is our version of a farmers' market/street festival. Lots of fun to just stroll, shop, eat and people watch. Also, consider heading to Shadyside in the east end of the city which is an upscale residentia/shopping district. Don't miss Ellsworth Street there as the main drag Walnut Street is largely filled with chain stores, but Ellsworth has eclectic little gift shops, antique shops, galleries, neighborhood bars and restaurants. Any questions, feel free to email me. jeff