Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need hotel near Phoenix airport - Sleep Inn or Doubletree Inn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Cheryl

My husband and I are vacationing in Arizona the end of this month and are traveling throughout the state. For our last night we want to stay at a basic hotel near the airport so we can catch an early flight the next day. We want it to be clean and in a safe area. Sleep Inn a couple of miles SE of airport was recommended and the Doubletree Inn, a mile and a half NE of airport was also recommended. Rates at Sleep Inn are better but don't want to stay in a bad area (I heard some areas around the airport are not so good).

Can anyone recommend one versus the other, or are they comprable?

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Lynn

We stayed at Days Inn near airport and took their shuttle next AM.the price seemed reasonable and room was clean and staff helpful. I have seen coments that some Days Inns are "dumps" In my experience the ones in Western U.S. are great. However, one in St.
Louis was a "dump" and several in the south were not great either. The newer ones have washer and dryers which is very convenient if on a long trip..
Hope this helps.....

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Marcia

Hi Cheryl,

I'm not sure which Days Inn you're talking about. There is or was one on Van Buren Street, definately NOT a good area. Do you know what street it's on? I work for Southwest Airlines and have lived in Scottsdale for the last 20 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I would recommend several hotels in the area. There is a new Hampton Inn just north of the airport on 44th Street. Also in the same area a Holiday Inn Select on Washington Street, a Marriott on 44th, a Doubletree Suites on 44th and last but not least a Wyndham on 44th. All of these are in a good area and a "stones throw" from each other. With the present WTC problems, they all probably have pretty good rates and I'm sure all have transportation to the airport.

If you need any help with the Arizona part of your trip, just let me know. Lots of great places, Sedona, Flagstaff, and the Verde River Train. All are north of PHX and great spots!

If I can be of any help just let me know! Have a wonderful time in our state, it's beautiful, especiall at this time of the year! It was 80 today, FINALLY! Marcia

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:18 AM
lisa

I stayed at the Sleep Inn near the Phoenix Airport in August of last year and it was fine. You can find details if you do a search for my trip report using the words "Grand Canyon." It is on a commercial road with lots of other businesses. I thought it was a great value for the price, newish, safe, very clean, a pretty short drive to the airport. As a single woman staying there alone there, arriving late at night, I did not feel like the area was unsafe, although to be honest I just got there, crashed, and left early the next morning -- it is not like I walked around the area or anything (it is not a residential area anyway -- there really isn't anyplace to walk to -- just lots of office parks and things like that nearby). Obviously it is no-frills but I remember the room was a good size and had a coffeemaker and mini-refrigerator and maybe even a microwave. The bathroom only had a shower stall, no tub, but I didn't care about that. There was a pool but I didn't use it so I don't know how it was. I would recommend it and would stay there again if it was just for one night. If I were staying longer in Phoenix I might want someplace more luxe, but as a place to crash it fit my needs perfectly.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:23 PM
steve

The Sleep Inn is in a light industrial area right next to the freeway. I think it would be an ok area, but not one to walk around in (which you probably wouldn't do anyway) Very convenient to airport