Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need Hiking Partner for Half Dome hike (permits already taken up)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I'm wanting to do the Happy Valley to Half dome hike in two days and stay at the Little Yosemite campground. Only problem is (of course) the permits are already sold out. I'm travelling solo and would have no problem hooking op with another individual or group. I'll even spring for food to cook at the campground?

Any takers?

Thanks, Tom
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:37 AM

You might want to check out www.backpacker.com and post your request on their site as well.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:46 AM

If you can't hook up with someone you can still do this as a day-hike ... it's been a number of years but IIRC it was 9 miles from the parking lot to the top of Half Dome, which a strong hiker can do in 3-4 hours (I've done the hike 8 times).

Good luck, it's a great hike.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Yes, you can do this without staying overnight in Little Yosemite.

We did it as a dayhike 2 years ago, and I was happy to not be carrying a pack up the Mist Trail. Ten hours roundtrip, including more than an hour enjoying the views at the top. It's a great hike.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM

We did it as a dayhike 2 years ago

Enzian, between Denali, Grand Canyon, Yosemite and northern Idaho I think we must have passed each other on the same trails a few times

Bill
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Maybe so! But remember, we haven't been to Denali in 30 years. . . I'm really looking forward to a return!

We're heading for Yosemite in 2 weeks, and I'm keeping a watchful eye n the air quality. We encountered lots of smoke there last year (including the day of our hike up Clouds Rest), and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again.

To thomas---do consider doing Half Dome as a dayhike if you don't find a shared campsite. This is a hike that would be no problem solo---you are never alone on that trail! Get an early start and be sure to carry lots of water (we took 2-3 liters each) and bring a flashlight in case it takes you a long time to get back down. (My first time on Half Dome we did the last few miles down to the Valley in total darkness because we didn't factor in the early darkness in October.)
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did Mist Trail last year (it was kind of spur of the moment) and didn't get going early enough to keep going up half dome.

Needless to say, I don't want to fall into the same trap this year. I think I should be okay as long as I get going reeealy early.

Looking forward to it!!
Tom
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 07:29 AM

I must chime in. This is absolutely do-able as a day hike.

I did the hike & I am an out-of-shape 45-year old NJ woman who sits at a computer 8 hours a day.

My very athletic younger brother (age 34) insisted that I experience the half dome hike (which he does about 3 times a year).

We started walking before the sun came up (from Curry Village) and returned just as the sun was setting.

It was really very pleasant and yes there were plenty of people on the trail.