Need help with weekend trip to San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm planning a surprise trip to San Francisco in early July for my husband and desperately need help! We arrive around noon on Friday and so far here are my plans: pick up rental car and have lunch in Chinatown, do some shopping..and later to Fisherman's Wharf for dinner (which restaurant?). The next day, Saturday wake up early and head over to Sonoma. I want to first visit Ferrari Carano and possibly a couple more wineries (any suggestions)on the way back. We are flying back Sunday morning. Where should we stay? I'm thinking of staying either in Sausalito or Fisherman's Wharf for the 2 nights. Should we stay close to the airport the 2nd night since our flight is around 10:30? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:43 PM

I'd avoid fisherman's wharf like mad in July (and always unless kids are involved). Dining - there are so many great places, don't fall for the touristy joints. Check zagat for style/$$. There are some name hotels near ghirardelli square near the foot of Bay/columbus sts - still touristy but not so bad. Or stay in union square and park your car for cheap in the stockton sutter garage, walk to china town, shopping. If you are doing Ferrari-Carano, you will want to visit the many small wineries on dry creek rd out of healdsburg, I like Hopkiln for the historic site but there are many boutique wineries along the way out there. It will be hot there. Healdsburg is great, there are loads of nice restaurants on the square.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM

I would avoid fisherman's wharf in any season. I just came back from a weekend trip to San Francisco and consider the wharf area the only waste of time my entire weekend. Go to Sausilito it is the same thing a sea side shopping village for tourist. Go to the wharf and expect a Tacky boardwalk, jammed to the brim with shops that only carry stuff that will make your salvation army pile in a few weeks if you find anything to buy at all.

Another alternative is the ferry building on Saturday mornings 10am-2pm, again better shopping and food. I can't imagine there are high quality restaurants on the wharf. My sister went a couple of years ago and said she had better clam chowder at the hyatt airport (room service).

I was in the financial district on my trip. I would change that next time. Sausilito as a SF friend suggested is not so easily accessible as SF is.

I really liked the neighborhoods of the Castro and Haight. At the Haight area a bit like the village in NYC you would be right on the edge of the GG park. If you find a place near the Castro theater you would be close to the muni underground which would provide easy access to the city. I like these locations because you are in actual neighborhoods were locals walk the streets. You feel like you are visiting a community. I did not get that downtown.

I looked at Sausilito's inn above the tide. I was glad I did not book here when I saw how close the ferry comes to it. Would not be my choice for fresh air with that fairy coming in so close 15-20 minutes.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:23 AM

I also found that Union Square lived up the reviews of previous posters. You are not in a neighborhood. I chose to eat all my meals away from here. Breakfast was more expensive than my Upper East Side neighborhood in NYC. ? Just no competition for breakfast at all. I saw $7.00 for two eggs any style no meat at the only two restaurants open on Sunday.

Wander out of these areas and there is competition and variety. I had eggs Benedict in the haight area for the same price. Best eggs Benedict I have had in a while too and you know that is a hard thing to say because everyone makes it so similar. I also had an incredible ranchero haveneros (?) like no other (gourmet take on this traditional item) at the ferry building outdoor market on Saturday morning. I had gorgeous water views and I met a lot of people explaining what I was eating ...Again same price as 2 eggs any style Union Square
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
dcespedes

Hi there--sounds like a fun weekend. Were you thinking dinner at the wharf for the view? If you're looking for a view of the bay I would check out McCormick & Kuleto's at Ghiradelli Square. The market at the Ferry Building that Sarah mentions is fabulous--definately worth a visit on the weekend.

I don't think it's necessary to stay near the airport the second night. We've had flights out of San Fran as early as 6:30ish and made it to the airport in plenty of time from downtown--it's not that far.

Hope you enjoy a great time!

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:05 PM

Avoid a rental car from the A/P on Fri, take a cab and stay @ the Stanford Court Hotel - Dim Sum @ Yank Sing Fri
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM

I really should have bought a MAC -
OK, my brother in law is a native SF'can and the food and wine critic for Minneapolis Magazine - they really like Aqua, but I thought you needed to do the full Monte "tasting Menu" to get the best bang for the buck.
IMHO, the lemon souffle pancakes with raspeberry sauce and fresh raspberries @ Stanford Court Hot is the best B'fast in the western hemisphere - feeds two.
McCormick and Kuleto is not bad for a really touristy location. Too bad you'll miss Beach Blanket Babylon and Alcatraz if you have never seen either.
Ch. St Jean is pretty relaxing just N of Sonoma and they make some nice wines.
M
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

So avoid Fisherman's Wharf..if we stay at union/ghiradelli square is parking a problem and expensive? Sarah, where is the ferry building? Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:48 AM

The ferry building is the embarcadero area. It is the ferry that takes you to Saulsilito by the way.

Remember the best market is on Saturday 10-2. Sunday is a mini market just out front.