Need help with summer trip

Feb 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Need help with summer trip

Hi,
We usually go to Maine every year - either in June or September. We are considering doing something different this year so that we can combine a vacation with a retirement dinner in NJ and a visit to my brother in Washington D.C. We live in Vermont and have a 3 1/2 year old and a 10 month old. My husband and I will be attending a retirement dinner in NJ in June. (We have family in the area to care for our little ones.) Our thought is to then drive to Washington D.C. to visit with my brother for 3-4 days. We thought that we would plan our week's vacation (on our way back home) somewhere between Washington D.C. and Vermont since there are lots of beaches along the way. We'd like something on/near the ocean and something kid/family friendly. Any suggestions? We have a total of 2 weeks for our entire trip.
Feb 17th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Guess I should have been more specific in my title. I don't see an edit option. Anyone know if I can edit this?
Feb 17th, 2005, 03:33 AM

I would just re post. I'm not sure about editing at this point.

You might consider the coastal area of Rhode Island. Both the Newport area and South County have beautiful beaches and family friendly activities. Places book quickly so you might want to do a search and see if you like what you see.
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:47 AM

How about the Delaware shore? Fenwick, Bethany, Rehoboth, Lewes? Do you camp? if so, Cape Henlopen or down in MD Assateague State Park.
Feb 17th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Cape May NJ is a great victorian town. The best restaurants and beaches. From DC you take rte 50 to Lewes Del. Jump on the Cape may-Lewes ferry and youre there. You better book now.
Feb 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM

IK was also going to mention Cape May and just north of there is Wildwood, NJ with the old fashioned boardwalk - lots of fun for kids. A little further north yet is Stone Harbor/Avalon which are very family oriented beach communities with lots of lodging options. Crabbing off the end of a dock was always a favorite activity there as kids!

I also like Newport as mentioned above but reallyh not geared to younger kids. Rehoboth beach in DE is similar to the "Joisey " shore.

Search this Thread