Need help with ski vacation at teton village

Aug 21st, 2001, 08:08 AM
Kris

Need help with ski vacation at teton village

We're planning a ski vacation at Teton Village this coming Feb. We were advised by a friend to stay in the village but everything I can find in the forum discourages me from doing that. I heard teton Village is under major construction. Yet the city of Jackson Hole is a half hour away. Help! Would appreciates some advice.

Aug 24th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Dayle

Kris, there are advantages & disadvantages to staying either in the Teton Village at the ski mountain or in the town. It might depend on how hard core a skier you & your friends/family are. If you are not going to be out early & skiing hard all day (Jackson is a very tough mountain) you might enjoy staying in town. There are many art galleries, high end shopping, etc. The Teton Village base area has been growing over the last 3 years. I'm going up next week for vacation & I'll report back on the village construction situation.

Aug 24th, 2001, 12:31 PM
kris

Thanks Dayle. I am not a skier, so I would prefer to stay in town. The rest of our clan does ski but are reluctantly willing to sacrifice convenience for the after hour fun the town might provide(especially if the village is run down. I'll be looking for your message and I thank you in advance. Have a great vacation!

Aug 24th, 2001, 01:16 PM
xxx

Kris -

I've done both, and definitely prefer staying in town, even though I am a relatively "hard core" skier. I never remembered the drive being very long, definitely not half an hour. If you stay at a hotel on the closer side of town, like the Prospector or Virginian, it's more like 15 mins. Also, if you stay at the village, you'll be driving into town every night to eat, etc. because there's nothing at the village apart from a couple shops and restaurants (not sure about the new construction - haven't been there in a couple years).

Unless your friends are adamantly slope-side type skiers, staying in town is the way to go, especially since you don't ski. If your friends are hard-core, tell them to get up early and hit the first tram up the mountain. It's the best way to beat the crowds, although it shouldn't be that bad in Feb.

Have a great trip!

Aug 24th, 2001, 01:29 PM
J T Kirk

I've mentioned this before in other posts, but I find Teton Village a real drag. It's old, depressing and very busy during the winter months. But, downtown Jackson, though crowded, is full of fun. It's really the way to go. Believe me -- you won't regret staying IN Jackson. This assumes you have a car!?!

Aug 27th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Kris

Yes, we have a car and after hearing the responses I am definately going to make reservations in town. Thanks for your help. Two places I was considering in town were The Wort Hotel and the Best Western lodge at Jackson Hole which I believe is a mile outside of town. Anyone have any feedback on these places? Don't really care for frilly, too intimate B&B type places.

Sep 4th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Kathy

We just returned from Jackson Hole and stayed at the Best Western Lodge. We found it to be a very nice hotel with clean, nicely decorated rooms. They are all mini suites, a bit larger than a regular hotel room with sleeper sofas. They also offer a free breakfast each morning and there is an indoor pool and hot tub. It's about 1 mile from town square. I also think that Teton Village isn't quite 1/2 hour away,, it's probably more like 15-20 minutes. I would definitely recommend staying in town, there is lots more to do there and all the restaurants and bars are located there. Have fun.

Sep 5th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Dayle

Kris, and everyone, here's the update on Teton Village. There is some construction going on, but it looks like both projects should be at the interior phase by winter. That's always a priority in snow country. There is one condo-hotel going in in back (facing the mountain) of the existing buildings. There is also what looks to be town homes going in further up the mountain. Note for skiers: JH put in a high speed gondola a couple of years ago to take the load off the 65-person tram. The gondola allows access to the upper chairs on the mountain which are really popular. This said, I too would stay in town. The Wart Hotel is the nicest and best location. I personally don't care for the highly commercial area on the highway west of town and between the junction to Teton Village - where the Virginian is.

Oct 10th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Jackie

Dear Kris,

The best accommodation in the valley
is Spring Creek Ranch. There is a large variety of types of units there and they
can put together ski packges. They also
have complimentary shuttles to town
and to the ski area. Look it up on the
web, www.springcreekranch.com. You will
be glad you did. Best regards!! Jackie

Search this Thread