Need help with road trip this summer!

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with road trip this summer!

My family and I are vacationing in Myrtle Beach this summer. This will be my Mom's first trip to MB. We were going to fly, but have decided to drive, but my Mom is really against the long ride from Philly. My husband and I have agreed to make a stop over in Virignia overnight and my Mom is thrilled about that. Can anyone suggest a good location to stop, near
I-95??? My husband does not want to venture off too far from 95 but put us close enough to find it without getting lost. If we can find reasonable accomodations with a pool for relaxtion and near restaurants, my Mom would love that, and it would allow her to rest overnight. Without stopping the drive would be from Philly about 11 hours.

Thanks for all your help

I have been looking at the virginia maps, but I am totally clueless as to where the best location is to stop.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Highly recommend Microsoft Streets & Trips software. I've been using it for many years and cannot imagine planning a road trip without it.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:46 PM

I've driven this route many times a year for half a lifetime but have only looked for a motel with a soft place to lay my head before getting up next morning to head out again. I have no recommendations except to say 'definitely get south of Richmond'. At that point, the worst will be behind you.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:55 AM

There are an endless number of chain hotels right off I95 around Fredericksburg and Richmond - go to something like Expedia, etc and type in one of those cities. We have stayed at the Comfort Inn in Fredericksburg on trips to Savannah from Boston, and it was fine - but just a clean place to sleep - nothing memorable or outstanding about it.

South of Richmond accomodations, bathrooms, coffee, lunch, get thinner and are more likely to be individual small towns with variable facilities rather than interstate rest stops.

If Mom really wants to fly, consider putting her on a plane, and picking her up at destination, especially if you are traveling with kids - even if they love each other and get along, we have found this is sometimes not a compatible travel style grouping for long trips in the car (departure times, bathroom and food breaks, etc.)
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:45 AM

When we drive from York PA to SC, we ususally stay overnight in Rocky Mount NC.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM

We're going in April from New Jersey and plan to stop at Fredericksburg, Va. which is about 5 hrs. from home; thus allowing the other 6 hrs. for the next day. Why not search the Internet for a place in Virginia with a pool,...maybe at a Best Western or Holiday Inn= in April about $85/ night? Use Hotels.com or Travelocity.com or other link and book early to guarantee a room.