Need help with road trip Boston-Milwaukee

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with road trip Boston-Milwaukee

Hi ALL,

Once again, I turn to you for help ...

I am planning a driving vacation that starts near Boston and will include the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland) and a couple of days at the Milwaukee Summerfest, in July 2007.

I'd like to include some great wildlife photography and hiking, but I don't want to get too far off the track .... My initial thoughts were to drive north from Milwaukee into Canada and then back south and east ...

Your thoughts are appreciated ...

DonnieD
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Either of these two places would be on your way, if you like birding.... The Ottawa NWR and Crane Creek State Park are just down the Road (Ohio SR2) and west of Cleveland on the lake. No one can guarantee great wildlife photog but it can be fun looking for them.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/parks/cranecrk.htm

http://www.fws.gov/Midwest/Ottawa/
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Crane Creek is a birding hot spot. My husband has driven from our home in mid-Michigan to be part of the spring warbler migration. They have some great boardwalks and also Lake Erie access. The Ottawa NWR was upgrading their visitor's center last time we went by.

If you are heading north from Milwaukee, the UP of Michigan has some great wildlife options. A favorite is Seney NWR. The sandhill cranes have been known to greet you as you drive in.

Another good spot is Point Pelee in Ontario just east of Windsor. Not sure what will be in season in July. We have gone in late winter/early spring for the southward migration.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
kp

If you are interested in birds-- Wisconsin is home to the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo (near Madison).
Also, one hour north of Milwaukee, is Horicon Marsh.
Both of these sites have been recognized internationally. More info. can easily be found on-line.
In July it is very likely that water levels will be low--but either or both of these would be easy to visit on your way to and from Canada.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Suzie True

The new visitors center at Ottawa is still under construction. The entrance access roadway is new but it also is still being worked on... We stopped by both places this afternoon.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to ALL for your prompt and very informative responses ...

While I am not a bird expert by any means, I do include them as wild-life and love to photograph then in their natural habitat (and of course, listen and watch their flight) ...

I will continue on to research the Michigan UP and nearby Ontario.

Again, thanks so much

Donnie
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:34 PM

There is no great wildlife photography that is incidental to travels. It is best targeted via deliberate locating of concentrations. The river pool above LaCrosse WI on the Mississippi River houses some 90% of the WORLDS Canvasback ducks. That might be worth your camera lens attention. I would web search these kinds of things on the travel route. I think from memory that PS I am from Milwaukee, do the "River Walk" Down Town several blocks from Summer Fest while you are here.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM

oops the "I think from memory" was going to be about a migration concentration on the Canada border somewhere but I forgot too much info and failed to delete the sentence