Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help with planning trip to Yosemite.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to California for a week in September and would like to see Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes and Mono Lake. What is the closest airport? We are coming from NY. Is a week long enough to see everything? Would we have time to drive to South Lake Tahoe? We'd like to see as much of the area as possible. We won't be hiking much. Mostly just riding in the car and stopping to take lots of pictures. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM

If you are mostly driving - you will have plenty of time. Most of the park is not accessible except on foot. You will however see many spectacular sites. Two years ago I took my mother on a driving tour from San Francisco over Labor Day week. We stopped in Sacramento for Gold Rush Days on Labor Day, spent a couple days in Tahoe, drove to Yosemite via Tioga Pass (beautiful drive) and saw Mono Lake, stayed two nights at Yosemite Village, drove to Monterey and went whalewatching.

The weather was perfect,no crowds. Only negative is that in September most of the waterfalls are only a trickle.

Reno might be a good airport to consider for your trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:27 PM

You have a couple of choices. You can fly into San Jose and drive to Mammoth and work your way north to Mono Lake, go west on 120 to see Yosemite and then head north again to see So. Lake Tahoe.

Or you can fly into San Francisco and do the same thing. I would pick the times and prices of the best flights, then pick the airport.

Or you could fly into Reno and work your way south. I think you might get better flights into SJC or SFO.

If you are not stopping to hike then you should have plenty of time to go all the way to Lake Tahoe. Be sure to see the sight from the lookout at the Wawona Tunnel. Happy travels.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM

We just camped in Yosemite in late May. Our camp site (and many others) were under feet of water. The waterfalls were enormous!! The snowpack this year is huge and I doubt September will not be a trickle for waterfalls this year.

Take binoculars (better a telescope with a tripod if you can swing it) with you. You can stop all along the roads in Yosemite and get out and look at the hikers, mountain climbers, waterfalls, etc.

Don't forget the Sequoia grove close to the entrance of Yosemite. You have to park and walk into the grove, but the trees are beautiful.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help. I will check fares to these airports.

constancelloyd: I never thought about taking my binoculars. Thanks for the tip.

One more question - Are Kings Canyon or Sequoia NP too far away to consider seeing also?